Question i7 12700 vs. 12700K for a CAD build

Is there any benefit to the K variant (no overclocking will be done) with it's faster base clock speed, over the 12700 for ArchiCad work?

Other planned specs are:
MSI PRO B760M-A
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4
Corsair RM Series RM850X 2021
Fractal Design Define R5
Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3.5"
DEEPCOOL AK500

Thanks for any advice. 😊

Is there any benefit to the K variant (no overclocking will be done)
You can't be sure of that unless you manually set every setting in the bios, on auto the default behaviour could very well be to overclock everything.
If the K version doesn't increase the price so much that you would have to cheap out on something else then get the K one to get more performance out of your system.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "on auto the default behaviour could very well be to overclock everything." - how can overclocking take place if nothing isa changed in the bios? (pardon my ignorance)

Also....will the difference in base clock speed ( 12700 - 2.1 GHz vs. 12700K - 3.6 GHz ) be noticeable for CAD work? As I said, no overclocking would be done on the machine if I decided on the K variant, and the cost difference isn't huge (about $70 NZD)

Thanks for your patience.

Current CPUs turbo on a maximum allowed power basis, many mobos default to not having this power limit in place so that the CPU turbo boost beyond the limit that intel set.
Intel has 180 and 190W for these two CPUs as the max and anything above that is considered overclocking since it's above specs but a mobo without limits could use 250W or whatever the system can provide.
Also....will the difference in base clock speed ( 12700 - 2.1 GHz vs. 12700K - 3.6 GHz ) be noticeable for CAD work? As I said, no overclocking would be done on the machine if I decided on the K variant, and the cost difference isn't huge (about $70 NZD)
Kinda goes together with the previous answer.
The 12700 has 65W as base power while the K has 125W but almost no mobo will have that base power set correctly, they use the same number for base and turbo so that the CPU always runs at the highest clocks.
This part is not considered overclocking by intel, you can have the CPU run always at top allowed power if you don't care.

Hence, you will have to make sure and set these things manually to whatever you like.

Reactions: woodson75
To answer your question, the I7-12700K is perhaps 5-10% more capable than the 12700.

The base speed spec means little.
New gen processors and motherboards seek to get the max performance out of the workload they are running and the limits of the cooling system. That default is a good way to go.

Reactions: woodson75

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Just curious why you aren't just going with a 13700k if you are going with a dead socket. Might as well get the best you can under said circumstances. (there is the 12900 and 13900 but they aren't worth it IMO and run way hotter).

Performs a lot better in rendering times (synthetic).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would opt for the 13700 as well over the 12700, basically a 12900.

An argument could be made for the 13900 though, but it is mostly the P-cores you are going to be using in anything you directly manipulate. If you do a lot of file compression to send files to clients, then more e-cores should make that faster, but not enough for you to care I would think.

12700KF is actually the cheapest in CAD at the moment though.