Question i7 12700F & Asrock H610M-HDV/M.2

Jul 31, 2022
Hello all,

I went to my local hardware store two days ago to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as I tend to do every 4 years or so.

I wanted an i7 and I was offered an i7 12700F and the Asrock H610M-HDV/M.2.

So the setup is:

i7 12700F
Asrock H610M-HDV/M.2
GTX 1660Ti
16GB Vengeance DDR4
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
Corsair RM550X 80 PLUS Gold PSU
Fractal Design Core 2500 Case

I bought it and installed it into the above system. Temps are fine. CPU test on passmark was 30,000, and the average is 32,000 apparently.

I'm not a noob when it comes to PC building and tech but I didn't have much knowledge on VRM's and heatsinks.

I have done some reading on Reddit tech forums about the motherboard and I haven't seen good things about it.

Apparently it is meant for lower specification processors like the i3 and i5, not the i7.

On Asrock's website, on the product page it says it's supported.

Basically, I'm not a power user. The most demanding games I play are Squad and Anno. I won't be doing any video rendering or streaming.

Are there any concerns that I need to have about this motherboard? Do I just need to rip it out and spend £150+ on a better one? Or will it do for my use-case with no drama?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I went to my local hardware store two days ago to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as I tend to do every 4 years or so.

I wanted an i7 and I was offered an i7 12700F and the Asrock H610M-HDV/M.2.

So the setup is:

i7 12700F
Asrock H610M-HDV/M.2
GTX 1660Ti
16GB Vengeance DDR4
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
Corsair RM550X 80 PLUS Golf PSU
Fractal Design Core 2500 Case

I bought it and installed it into the above system. Temps are fine. CPU test on passmark was 30,000, and the average is 32,000 apparently.

I'm not a noob when it comes to PC building and tech but I didn't have much knowledge on VRM's and heatsinks.

I have done some reading on Reddit tech forums about the motherboard and I haven't seen good things about it.

Apparently it is meant for lower specification processors like the i3 and i5, not the i7.

On Asrock's website, on the product page it says it's supported.

Basically, I'm not a power user. The most demanding games I play are Squad and Anno. I won't be doing any video rendering or streaming.

Are there any concerns that I need to have about this motherboard? Do I just need to rip it out and spend £150+ on a better one? Or will it do for my use-case with no drama?

Thanks.

Hey there,

Yes, that mobo has weaker VRMs. Not much exactly much out there on it, but general advice is not to go above a 12400 on it, because even that throttles on stock cooler.

I'd suggest getting a better mobo, so your CPU isn't gimped from the start,

Jul 31, 2022
Hey there,

Yes, that mobo has weaker VRMs. Not much exactly much out there on it, but general advice is not to go above a 12400 on it, because even that throttles on stock cooler.

I'd suggest getting a better mobo, so your CPU isn't gimped from the start,

What motherboard would you suggest?

And should I upgrade my PSU as well?

Epen

Prominent
Feb 2, 2021
that CPU is high level, meanwhile Mainboard is Entry Level
u cant get full power of that CPU without burning the VRM,
unless u do it only for writing and browsing (if its just for that, cpu would be very OP lol)

good CPU need good Motherboard - try Z690 Motherboard

Jul 31, 2022
Reactions: Epen