Question I7-12700K cooling problem

Feb 17, 2022
I have an I7-12700K with an Asus B660M TUF Gaming Plus Wifi D4 motherboard. I also have 2 nvme SSD and 2x16GB DDR4 3200 RAM installed. No dedicated VGA.

For cooling first I used an Arctic Cooling 34 eSport Duo. The idle temperature was quite good 25-26C in a room with 24C in a Be Quiet DX500 case. However, when I start a Cinebench 23 test after 30 sec some cores already hit 100C, and after 1-2 minutes already 6 performance cores hit this limit. The remaining 2 perf cores are ~8-10C cooler.
I have reinstalled the cooler, checked thermal pasting, and also tried in an open case. Unfortunately, it remains the same.

As the next step, I have changed the cooler to a Dark Rock Pro 4. The idle temperatures got a bit worse but still ok I think 27-28C (room is 24C). The Cinebench test shows a small step forward and the first performance core hits 100C after 80-90 sec. At the end of the 10 minutes test, more cores hit this limit.

I don't want to overclock my system, so I also tried to disable Asus automatic overclocking in the BIOS, but nothing changed (only got 2-3% lower C23 test results).

Any idea how to proceed, what to check again?

bI2ErHB.png

What is the correlation between the temps you normally encounter in your day to day use of the PC and the temps realized with Cinebench?

Would you insist on driving Cinebench temps down regardless?

Some people do build PCs for the primary purpose of running benchmarks, but I don't know your purpose.

Feb 17, 2022
What is the correlation between the temps you normally encounter in your day to day use of the PC and the temps realized with Cinebench?

Would you insist on driving Cinebench temps down regardless?

Some people do build PCs for the primary purpose of running benchmarks, but I don't know your purpose.

This is (will be) a machine for work. The benchmark test is only part of let's say stress testing to test if I build everything correctly and the system works stable. These high-temperature values suggest that something is wrong or at least not ideal. Maybe I made a mistake during the build, or something is set incorrectly.

Just a thought..the 12th gen cpus are slightly thinner than the previous gens, so if the Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Arctic Cooling 34 eSport Duo does not have the specifc LGA1700 moutning kits it may not be applying quite sufficient pressure on the cool plate.
I am using an Actic Freezer i35 on my 12600k as at the time of purchase it was the only one that specifically stated LGA1700 compatible.

Feb 17, 2022
Just a thought..the 12th gen cpus are slightly thinner than the previous gens, so if the Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Arctic Cooling 34 eSport Duo does not have the specifc LGA1700 moutning kits it may not be applying quite sufficient pressure on the cool plate.
I am using an Actic Freezer i35 on my 12600k as at the time of purchase it was the only one that specifically stated LGA1700 compatible.

I have the official mounting kit for both coolers.

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige

TRENDING THREADS