Question i7 12700k new system thermal throttling

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Sounds like you need to keep it stock and stop doing what you are doing because its clearly not working. What is the exact PSU you are using?
Stock hwinfo after gaming still reports it had thermal throttling happen.
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

dwd999

Honorable
I built it yesterday and yes the cooler is the oldest piece of hardware but still quiet new.
Tell us about the case and the ventilation; how many fans are there besides the AIO; how are they mounted and which way is their airflow; is the AIO drawing in fresh air from outside or recycling warm air from inside; is the AIO pump definitely running at 100 percent all the time and what are the control curves for the AIO fans; at what temperature do the AIO fans reach 100 percent. Its a little late but is there a reason for not using a 360mm cooler? Did you run any tests where you manually set every fan you have at 100 percent to see if that helps?

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Tell us about the case and the ventilation; how many fans are there besides the AIO; how are they mounted and which way is their airflow; is the AIO drawing in fresh air from outside or recycling warm air from inside; is the AIO pump definitely running at 100 percent all the time and what are the control curves for the AIO fans; at what temperature do the AIO fans reach 100 percent. Its a little late but is there a reason for not using a 360mm cooler? Did you run any tests where you manually set every fan you have at 100 percent to see if that helps?
One 140MM in front, 120MM in rear, two fans exhausting hot air through the radiator out. 360MM I'd have to buy new. The curve at 70 I believe reaches 100% on a slope. I did set to 100% and it still gave me errors.

dwd999

Honorable
One 140MM in front, 120MM in rear, two fans exhausting hot air through the radiator out. 360MM I'd have to buy new. The curve at 70 I believe reaches 100% on a slope. I did set to 100% and it still gave me errors.
Could the AIO be mounted in the front of the case drawing in cool air from the outside and then have 2 140mm fans exhausting warm air out the top? You may need a bigger case that would allow installing a 360mm AIO in the front pulling cool air in and which would have 2 or 3 140mm fans on top for exhaust. You spent a lot on electronics but you need to have a case and cooler to match.

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Could the AIO be mounted in the front of the case drawing in cool air from the outside and then have 2 140mm fans exhausting warm air out the top? You may need a bigger case that would allow installing a 360mm AIO in the front pulling cool air in and which would have 2 or 3 140mm fans on top for exhaust. You spent a lot on electronics but you need to have a case and cooler to match.
Understood and will be opting to put the radiator in the front and get back to the thread.

Reactions: dwd999

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
I put the AIO in the front with the fans drawing air from out through radiator (loop at the the bottom of radiator) with a 140mm exhaust from top.

Still throttling .

Last edited:

uWebb429

Respectable
May 22, 2020
the cooler is the oldest piece of hardware
Does your cooler need different hardware to be compatible with 12th Gen CPUs? Intel made a change to the height of the CPU on the motherboard that many users are not aware of.

Some coolers need to use different mounting hardware so the cooler has the proper contact pressure with the CPU. If the cooler is not tight to the CPU, temperatures will be lousy and you will get premature thermal throttling.

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Does your cooler need different hardware to be compatible with 12th Gen CPUs? Intel made a change to the height of the CPU on the motherboard that many users are not aware of.

Some coolers need to use different mounting hardware so the cooler has the proper contact pressure with the CPU. If the cooler is not tight to the CPU, temperatures will be lousy and you will get premature thermal throttling.
I am using the correct bracket and don't need a washer mod.

uWebb429

Respectable
May 22, 2020
I am using the correct bracket
If the cooler is tight to the CPU and the thermal paste is good then the cooler needs to be repaired or replaced.

If you are overclocking the P cores to 5.2 GHz then return the CPU to default specs to see if that fixes your temperature issues. Even a small overclock can increase power consumption and heat very quickly.

Reactions: KyaraM

systemg33k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
If the cooler is tight to the CPU and the thermal paste is good then the cooler needs to be repaired or replaced.

If you are overclocking the P cores to 5.2 GHz then return the CPU to default specs to see if that fixes your temperature issues. Even a small overclock can increase power consumption and heat very quickly.
I tried stock as well and I am not oc cores to 5.2 (it's at 1.25v and offset of -0.015 at 52,51,50's) but what I want to know is if I should ignore the YES' on HWinfo and my temps are about 93 on most cores except for 2-3 that hit 100c once in a while.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I tried stock as well and I am not oc cores to 5.2 (it's at 1.25v and offset of -0.015 at 52,51,50's) but what I want to know is if I should ignore the YES' on HWinfo and my temps are about 93 on most cores except for 2-3 that hit 100c once in a while.
If my processor was going to 93C I would fix it before continue using it much less 100C on some cores.

Reactions: KyaraM

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS