Question i7-12700KF is intermittently overheating ?

drinkcup

Honorable
May 21, 2016
Hi Guys,

I've recently impulse purchased a new build with specs below. since putting it together it was keeping nice and cool for the first few weeks (admittedly I didn't have a lot of time to use it) but now I've noticed it intermittently overheats, getting up to 90 degrees whilst playing Battlefield 2042 or Red dead Redemption 2.... This doesn't happen every time i play games and some times i check the temps and its not gone over 70C but others says it hit 90+.. I've played for 2 + hours the other day not going over 74 but today got 15 minutes in and hit over 90C ?

I have no idea what the story is - this isn't my first PC build but first time I seen something like this. Hoping someone has any suggestions - i am at wits end trying to figure out what the problem is , starting to think it might be the cooler?

Specs:
Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-12700KF 12 Core LGA 1700 Unlocked CPU Processor
RTX 3070 GPU
MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 240mm RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler - V2
Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD - CT1000P3PSSD8
Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh Tempered Glass RGB USB-C E-ATX Mid-Tower Case - Black
Gigabyte UD850GM 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 RAM - Black

KyaraM

Admirable
Is it spike temperatures or average temperatures? If it only hits 90 for a second, I wouldn't worry too much. Mine runs in the low to mid 50s average and sometimes hits in the low 70s on two of its cores in the games I play. It also depends on what else happens in the background I noticed, and sometimes also game quirks. For example, during the shader precompilation stage when starting Hogwarts Legacy, the CPU sometimes goes over 85°C on all cores, at other times it barely hits 70. Room temperature is set to 20.5°C in both cases. Ingame it sits at around 60 with some spikes to 75 at times in both cases.

Also, did you check temps in Cinebench? How old is the AIO?

Reactions: drinkcup

drinkcup

Honorable
May 21, 2016
w is the AIO oriented in your build? How are the fans oriented in your build? Ambient room air temps?
Top mounted pushing air out the top, its brand new bought it with the build. Ambient room temp is sub 18degrees Celsius . 3 fans on front pulling in air and 2 from rad pushing out top one at rear pushing out air.

Last edited:

drinkcup

Honorable
May 21, 2016
Is it spike temperatures or average temperatures? If it only hits 90 for a second, I wouldn't worry too much. Mine runs in the low to mid 50s average and sometimes hits in the low 70s on two of its cores in the games I play. It also depends on what else happens in the background I noticed, and sometimes also game quirks. For example, during the shader precompilation stage when starting Hogwarts Legacy, the CPU sometimes goes over 85°C on all cores, at other times it barely hits 70. Room temperature is set to 20.5°C in both cases. Ingame it sits at around 60 with some spikes to 75 at times in both cases.

Also, did you check temps in Cinebench? How old is the AIO?

I originally checked in Cinebench and was holding 70 degrees on multicore - now its over 90 on all cores. Brand new AIO. Wondering if it just worth my while getting some new thermal paste and reseating it again

drinkcup

Honorable
May 21, 2016
These units should NOT be top mounted. The pump is in the radiator, you expose said pump to air pockets, and will send the cooler to an early death.
This makes a lot of sense why I am having an intermittent problem as apposed to all the time - i will move it to a front mount setup ASAP