[SOLVED] i7-13700k ddr5 motherboard suggestions

Gamer31

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
I'm about half way through buying components for a high end pc build. I have already purchased an i7-13700k and 2X16GB of DDR5-5600 corsair vengeance RAM.
I still need to pick an ATX motherboard, though. I'm looking to spend $200 - $300 USD on the motherboard. I would like it to support PCIe 5.0 graphics cards for future GPU upgrades as well as PCIe 4.0 SSDs. It should also have 4 memory slots so that I can upgrade to 64GB of RAM in the future. A good audio codec would also be nice. I'm looking for something that will deliver good performance and still last a long time.
This is my first PC build so I am looking for something that won't be a hassle to get working. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Solution
I'm looking for something that will deliver good performance and still last a long time.

Suppose you get suggestions A, B, and C. What would cause you to decide?

The "last a long time" part is all but unknowable...

They can fail outright at any moment. The socket will also become outdated within 2 or 3 years, so you'd be forced into a new board anyway if you wanted a new generation CPU.

I'd just make a list of "must have" features and another of "like to have". Then assault the MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, and Asus websites with your features and budget in mind. Look at the spec sheets. Compare to your two lists. Consider USB port types; fan connectors, audio codec; VRM design; monitor connections; M.2 port number and type...
I'm looking for something that will deliver good performance and still last a long time.

Suppose you get suggestions A, B, and C. What would cause you to decide?

The "last a long time" part is all but unknowable...

They can fail outright at any moment. The socket will also become outdated within 2 or 3 years, so you'd be forced into a new board anyway if you wanted a new generation CPU.

I'd just make a list of "must have" features and another of "like to have". Then assault the MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, and Asus websites with your features and budget in mind. Look at the spec sheets. Compare to your two lists. Consider USB port types; fan connectors, audio codec; VRM design; monitor connections; M.2 port number and type; whatever is important to you.

Pick out 4 or 5 possibles and then pound the net for reviews and Newegg/Amazon/elsewhere for prices.

At some point, convince yourself that you are in the land of diminishing returns on research...another 50 hours won't help much.

The possible boards are new, so reviews may be in short supply other than first impressions and benchmarks....little or no clue as to reliability or any design issues that might not show up quickly.

Rely on anecdotes at your own risk. Might be a lot of that, with you having to decide how important they might be. "I'll never buy brand X because.....".

Buy and hope.

Reactions: Gamer31
Solution

TRENDING THREADS