Question i7-13700k hot and under 20k points score in Cinebench ?

Dec 28, 2022
Hi there,

first of all my Systems Specs:

Intel i7-13700k
Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm AIO
MSI Z690-A WIFI PRO SERIES
RTX 3070
Be Quiet Dark Base 700 Case (1x Front, 1x Rear Fan)

9Qd3X1F.png

As you can see after about 6 Seconds of running Cinebench my Temps are already up at 100°C. I already limited the Power Level in the BIOS to 253W but that didn't really help.

The AIO is connected to the PUMP Fan Slot on the Mainboard, the Front and Rear Fans on the CPU Fan Slot.

I'm not really an Expert on Over/Underclocking - but it seems to me my Score in Cinebench of under 20k is a bit low and the Temperatures are too high. Do you have any Suggestions for this?

Thank you!

Dec 28, 2022
Thank you for your Response.

Because the manual of the Case said that it needs to be a PWM Slot and I believe that only the CPU Fan Slot and Pump Fan Slot on the Motherboard are PWM. Since the Pump Slot has more Voltage I thought it best to put the AIO there and the Case Fans on the CPU Fan Slot.

The Fan RPM of the AIO is more or less always at MAX RPM (see the Screenshot below).

Short Update to the Situation: I have bought another Thermal Paste and reinstalled the AIO just to be sure - the Cinebench Score is now at 24640 and the Temps are a bit better (not all Cores are at 100° but they often hit 100° nonetheless). I'm at a loss unfortunately and appreciate any help.

uXP79Lz.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I already limited the Power Level in the BIOS to 253W but that didn't really help.
These results are probably about right then. 240mm AIO/CLCs are good for up to 250w of heat energy - ON PAPER.
1)If cpu package power is actually getting up to 250w, and the cooler is rated for up to 250w, then it should be no surprise that some cores will get in the 100s(C).
Gonna have to allow for some headroom - cap the max boost power to 200 or 220w. 253w is too much.

2)While the LF IIs have thicker rads than most others out there, thus allowing for greater cooling capacity, their lower Fins Per Inch rating of 17 offsets it some. Most others sit in the low 20s.
The cooling capacity of the LF IIs is then about the same - maybe slightly better than alternatives.
The lower FPI allows the LF IIs to excel in cooling at low(er) fan rpm, which is great, since just about no one likes running their fans at very high rpms anyway.

3)The extra layers between the cpu die and cooler cold plate means the 253w of heat energy is delayed or even lost on its way to the cooler's cold plate. How much, I can't say. I only know that the more layers, the worse thermal transfer is.
4)There may be a lack of air getting to the cooler. Open that case up, take a desk/box/table fan and blast some air towards the cooler to see how much it helps.

TL;DR: Bigger cooler, and maybe* a different, more open case, if you don't want to reduce the max power limit. [Depends on what you find in #4.]
Lowering the max power limit is simple and cheap, plus not much, if anything noticeable, may be lost from doing it.

Dec 28, 2022
Hi, thank you for your response.

I have tried a few things the last couple of days. First off, I undervolted the CPU by -0.100V which led to a decrease in temperature of about 3-4°C. Not much but at least it's something.

I also tried to cap the max boost power to 200 but when I tried to turn on the PC it wouldn't start - instead it just turned itself an and off and on and off. Luckily at some point I was able to go back to into the BIOS and change the Settings back to 240W.

One thing I am not sure about is the backplate of the liquid freezer. Can you confirm for me that the backplate in the picture is the correct one for lga 1700? I read in some posts that there is a special upgrade kit for lga 1700 which looks different (see link below).

Here is a photo of my backplate:

BmCq5IN.png

Here is the link where a special backplate for LGA 1700 is depicted:

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-lga1700

Maybe someone here knows if that is still an issue (I was sent REV 7 of the Arctic Liquid Cooler AIO 240mm).

If that is not the Problem I will probably upgrade to a 360mm AIO - I don't feel comfortable with these high temperatures on my CPU.

Reactions: Why_Me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I also tried to cap the max boost power to 200, but when I tried to turn on the PC it wouldn't start - instead it just turned itself an and off and on and off.
Was this done together with the -0.100V offset?
I'm not familiar with a power limit exhibiting this behavior, but too much of a negative voltage offset can definitely trigger it.

One thing I am not sure about is the backplate of the liquid freezer. Can you confirm for me that the backplate in the picture is the correct one for lga 1700? I read in some posts that there is a special upgrade kit for lga 1700 which looks different (see link below).

Here is a photo of my backplate:

BmCq5IN.png

Here is the link where a special backplate for LGA 1700 is depicted:

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-lga1700
I can't personally confirm, but am left to use the info in the link you've provided. It looks like you need the upgrade kit with the square backplate.
While the LGA sockets are the same dimensions, the Z-height for 12th and 13th Core-i cpus is different(shorter) - if I recall correctly.

It would appear that your main usage might be gaming.
If so, I would not worry all that much.
If your main use is multithreaded apps that can fully use all cores, then cinebench might be a good test.

Benchmarks are designed to stress a processor, but may not reflect the instruction pattern that you will normally use.
Run hwmonitor.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.

As a test, run cpu-Z stress test. I think it more closely represents the instruction mix of an average user.
You will likely see a handful of max temperatures at 100c. in red.
That indicates throttling. But that is likely for only a very short time.
So long as the pc did not crash, the system was doing it's job.
You might even see some ridiculously high clock rates like 7000
I keep a task manager performance window open on a side monitor.
You will likely see 6-8 P cores heavily utilized as well as minimal activity on all the e cores

If you are running well, perhaps one should not worry too much.

Can't comment on the problems but the backplate you are using is the "new" one. These come with the rev 7 versions of the board.

If you look the old ones that don't work in the early revisions only have 2 holes. Then they have that big plate thing in rev 6 for 1700.

I too was confused by this but if you look at the diagrams in the install instructions it becomes more obvious. You must have a rev7 or you would not have that plate.