Question i7-13700K or i9-13900K or i9-12900K ?

Astralv

Distinguished
I am comparing 3 processors and wondering if there significant advantage between I7 and I9. I currently have i9-12900K on one of my builds used for occasional video editing. I can not see huge difference compared to even my older builds. I noted that when it comes to video processing, it really farts. Like it nakes this crrrrrrr sound- or what ever makes this sound- I am not sure, maybe graphics card- I have nVidea 3070 TI, and monitor goes out for a while. I use KVM switch so who knows why it affects the monitor but it happens when I render a video or even open image file.

So I am wondering- I will be using this computer to run multiple audio plugins and audio production as well as video production. No gaming of any kind. The base clock for 12900K is 3.2Ghz, while 13900 went down to 3.0Ghz. While I7 processor base clock is 3.5Ghz. The 13 gen i9 has more Level 2 cash, but this should not make big difference. So considering the prices, should I go with i7? Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
The description of the noise you've made above, would very well be coil whine or the blades of a fan brushing up against a stray wire. You can try and narrow down the source of the noise by rolling a sheet of A4 paper into a cylinder. Hold one end to your ear and the other end can be used to probe for the source of the noise. People have been known to point a finger at the wrong component.

Can you please elaborate what app's you're working with on your platform for your video editing/production work?

Are you using an old Windows installation from a previous build, before the 12900k, or did you do a full CLEAN install when you built that system?

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Have you downloaded and installed the most recent motherboard chipset, audio and network adapter drivers from the motherboard product page, or are you running on the native Microsoft supplied drivers?

What CPU cooler are you running?

What case do you have?

How many case fans are installed, exactly where are each of them installed and exactly what orientation (intake or exhaust) is each of them configured for?

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your replies! The sound actually comes from speakers, it is electrical sound and it does it when CPU is loaded, but I will pay attention to it again.

The software is Adobe Premier Pro, Photoshop (I am a newby with video editing).

Audio editing I have been doing for many years, but was not doing it on 12900K, I have Kaby Lake I7 for Audio, building another one for different studio location.

This is my probably 10th build, so I do have some experience. Windows 11 were installed clean.

The CPU Cooler is Air, the good one, the top company I was recommended here- I will tell if I hear the name. It was about $110 black edition (they also come brown). The case is BeQuiet flagship model. I did install all chipset stuff and I think I updated BIOS. I usually use Asus but last year there was shortage of everything and I scored Gigabyte Aorus premium motherboard, so it was different process to install drivers but I think I got everything.

I am comparing 3 processors and wondering if there significant advantage between I7 and I9. I currently have i9-12900K on one of my builds used for occasional video editing. I can not see huge difference compared to even my older builds. I noted that when it comes to video processing, it really farts. Like it nakes this crrrrrrr sound- or what ever makes this sound- I am not sure, maybe graphics card- I have nVidea 3070 TI, and monitor goes out for a while. I use KVM switch so who knows why it affects the monitor but it happens when I render a video or even open image file.

So I am wondering- I will be using this computer to run multiple audio plugins and audio production as well as video production. No gaming of any kind. The base clock for 12900K is 3.2Ghz, while 13900 went down to 3.0Ghz. While I7 processor base clock is 3.5Ghz. The 13 gen i9 has more Level 2 cash, but this should not make big difference. So considering the prices, should I go with i7? Thank you.
Just my pref.

I'd go for the i7.

If you can afford to wait a few months the non-k flavors should be out.