Question I7 13700k temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Just recently upgraded my cooler to a nh-d15, and cinebench I'm getting low 90c with a slight undervolt with the case closed which is a Corsair 4000d. The case only has the 2 stock fans currently. Prime95 on the other hand jumps up to 100c extremely quickly. Is this normal for the chip? I know it's a power hungry CPU and pumps out a lot of heat but it does seem excessive.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How does it fair in a more normal workload?

Others have posted similar results, up to 95C or so. Prime 95 is brutal.

I would suggest getting the full compliment of case fans as a start. That will help the GPU a lot as well.

If you do plan on 100% loads all the time, then yes, you should get more cooling.

You really need do nothing.

Do you use cinebench or prime 95 as your main production apps?
If so, you may want to improve cooling.
Ditto if your apps can fully load all threads.

But for games and such, only a few cores will be highly stressed and I would not worry.

You have a nice case.
If you want improved cooling, replace the front 120mm fan that came with the case with two 140mm front intakes. 140mm fans move more air quietly.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Oh normal usage and gaming it generally only reaches mid 50s currently with odd spikes into high 60s.

That's good to know at least it's not uncommon. But I will be definitely getting a set of fans to start with. I know it's the wrong thread but any decent 120mm fans that you would recommend?.

Pretty much everything I'll be doing is gaming so if I'm being honest I've probably gone overkill upgrading from an i5 8600k and a bit of a shock with how different the new GPU acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.