[SOLVED] i7 2600 + 1050ti + 8gb ram

Jul 2, 2018
I'm about to start building my first gaming PC and I'm going for an i7 2600 with a 1050ti and 8gb of ddr3 ram (1333-1600 MHZ). The only problem is that I'm not sure what motherboard and what power supply is needed for these components + I need some suggestions on what case should I buy.

Solution
BTW. If You can, get the i7 2600K version, i would strongly recommend it.

This CPU is really great when overclocked (it's on the level of modern i3 8350K).

If You decide to go for K version, then You get P67/Z67 chipset (it's designed for overclocking) and some good CPU cooling for that.

Also, i'd recommend to buy GTX 1060 instead of 1050ti. The performance difference is huge, price difference isn't. If You have no money for that, get the RX 570. Costs the same money, has 8gb of vram and performs better.

Aside from that, You should consider buying new Ryzen 2600 setup, instead of outdated one. You can get really cheap motherboards and ryzen CPU's nowadays. Also ram memory got way cheaper.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Socket for sandy bridge (this) CPU: LGA 1155

H61/H67/Z67 motherboard chipset will allow You to use integrated graphics from CPU. (as an alternative).
You can also use p67 (doesn't support integrated GPU). Maybe some others too.

As for PSU, 450W good quality is enough for this setup. (Seasonic Focus Gold maybe?)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018
Socket for sandy bridge (this) CPU: LGA 1155

H61/H67/Z67 motherboard chipset will allow You to use integrated graphics from CPU. (as an alternative).
You can also use p67 (doesn't support integrated GPU). Maybe some others too.

As for PSU, 450W good quality is enough for this setup. (Seasonic Focus Gold maybe?)
I think I'm going for an H61 but is there a cheaper PSU? I'm 16yo so I'm building o a budget lol

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019

This CPU is really great when overclocked (it's on the level of modern i3 8350K).

If You decide to go for K version, then You get P67/Z67 chipset (it's designed for overclocking) and some good CPU cooling for that.

Also, i'd recommend to buy GTX 1060 instead of 1050ti. The performance difference is huge, price difference isn't. If You have no money for that, get the RX 570. Costs the same money, has 8gb of vram and performs better.

Aside from that, You should consider buying new Ryzen 2600 setup, instead of outdated one. You can get really cheap motherboards and ryzen CPU's nowadays. Also ram memory got way cheaper.

Solution

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
I think I'm going for an H61 but is there a cheaper PSU? I'm 16yo so I'm building o a budget lol
The PSU is not something You save on. When PSU dies, it might damage CPU/GPU/motherboard as well.
Of course, there are cheaper psu's that You can rely on, but i'm not an expert - You need to ask someone else. Maybe someone will recommend You something cheap & reasonable.

PS. If You decide to go RX570 instead of 1050ti, You will need like 550W PSU. This card is way more demanding than 1050ti.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018

Oh wow thanks for the advise, I'll consider different options then.

Jul 2, 2018
The PSU is not something You save on. When PSU dies, it might damage CPU/GPU/motherboard as well.
Of course, there are cheaper psu's that You can rely on, but i'm not an expert - You need to ask someone else. Maybe someone will recommend You comething cheap & reasonable.

PS. If You decide to go RX570 instead of 1050ti, You will need like 550W PSU. This card is way more demanding than 1050ti.
I found a 1050ti for 65€ but the cheapest 4gb RX570 goes for 100€ and 8gb goes for 150-200€.
It's just a fast search on ebay but I don't think I can find something cheaper than 80 (btw I'f from Italy so maybe the prices here are a little different)

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Yep, that depends on local prices i guess.

Before You buy sandy bridge setup, check on the prices of new Ryzens.
Cheap B450Mobo + Ryzen 1700/2600 + 8GB 3000Mhz Ram is about 300 EUR.

What You get for that is:
  • a bit better or equal gaming performance than sandy bridge Intel i7 2600(k)
  • NEW SETUP WITH WARRANTY
  • upgradable AM4 platform, that will provide support for next generation(s) of Ryzen CPU's
  • Current standard: DDR4 rams instead of DDR3 from sandy bridge
  • more cores/threads than intel i7 2600 for multitasking and modern games.
So if i were You, i would try to save some money and go for new rig.
But i get the budget problem :) sandy bridge 2600K is also a good option for gaming (i use one myself all the time). If You can get significant savings on the mobo/cpu/ram setup, then go for it.

Last edited:

darksun9210

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
if you want to super save some money for a budget build, look for reconditioned office boxes on ebay. Dell optiplex 990 with i7 2600, 4gig ram, 500gig drive for £150.
slap in a 1050ti - or something that doesn't need a PCIe aux 6pin or 8pin power and you're laughing.

there are 6pin to sata power adapters if you step up to needing extra juice - just be aware that these are office boxes, so if the PSU goes pop; it might be a custom shape, and pin connection on the mainboard.

i run a small formfactor Dell optiplex 990 i7 2600 (will 16gig ram and SSD) myself as my "steambox" in my mancave - it's getting a bit old and creaky with the GTX650 i've got in there, but its fine for the 55" 1080p display it's running. however, i'm stuck with low profile graphics cards because its the small SFF case. still got an SSD or for a 3.5" drive, and slim optical drive slot if you want that. i've also got other small formfactor 990's around the house as netflix or whatever boxes, just running off the onboard intel graphics via Displayport-to-HDMI adapters.

the smallformfactor optiplex 9010 & 9020's were a no-go for me, as the x16 PCIe slot is at the bottom/farside of the case and cannot accommodate a dual slot cooler like the SFF 990 could. however, i did have a pair of 9020's that i couldn't fit a decent GFX card in - because of the space problem, so , i gave to a friend of mine so he could harvest the i7's and ram out of them.
if you get the mini-tower versions of these office machines, you should have no problem with space - just be aware that as these are office boxes, you may not have the watts from the PSU to drive anything too big graphics card wise. I picked up some HP deskpro tower boxes - gen4 i5, 8gig ram, slim DVDrw, Nvidia NVS310, for £40 each, and no PCIe aux power, so at the time was limited to GTX750 graphics.

for my main box, i run a Dell precision 5810, with a xeon E5-1650v4 cpu, 16gig DDR4, nvidia Quadro M4000 8G (gtx970 equivilent)
my wife has a Dell precision T3600, 16gig DDR3, xeon E5-1650v2 cpu, nvidia quadro M4000 8G
my homeserver is a Dell Precision T3610 with 64gig DDR3, xeon E51650v3 cpu, nvidia NVS315, dual10gig nic, dual SAS/SATA drive controllers.
all for zero cost - all office cast offs. where i did have a cost was retro fitting all the machines with drives. SSD's across the board apart from the homeserver's storage drives.

Anyway, where i did spend money when i did a build, was on the GPU - always looking for the sweet spot of price vs performance.
if you get a cheap GPU, it'll run out of power long before your CPU starts getting stressed, so spend there. DDR3 ram is pretty affordable these days - seems to have taken a bit of a drop in price recently, and you'll not really notice the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 in real world applications - hence the i7 2600 is still a good chip to run, even now.

but yeah i agree, also don't skimp on your PSU if you need to buy one. you may find that a good one will outlast not just this PC build, but like your monitor, it'll be there for your next pc build, and the next etc...
i've had good experience with Silverstone/coolermaster PSUs, Gigabyte/Asus mainboards, EVGA/Gigabyte/Zotac graphics. Samsung/Intel/Kingston SSDs.
i've not had good experience with Corsair's 650W PSU's. i've had two die - after the PC's original Thermaltake PSU died from many years of service, running my old storage server 24/7 (AMD PhenomII x6 T1055, 8gig ram, 8x 4TB, 2x 2TB) - currently running a silverstone 700Watt iirc
i've also not had good experience with MSI - but they are still around so i guess it was a limited case with the gear i was buying at the time, and the subsequent experience of trying to get it fixed or returned. even so, i'll never personally buy MSI again.

but yeah. sorry got a bit carried away there. hope some of that is of use.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Outdated office cases have great price as You say, but:
  • Probably non-K versions of intel i7 2600, which is a big loss in this case
  • PC cases with bad airflow and stock CPU cooler -> not good for modern GPU's and CPU overcocking. Also often weird cable management inside and not much space for bigger graphic cards.
  • Crappy PSU's with low wattage and often weird motherboard connectors ...or lack of 6/8 pin GPU connectors (12V rails), which disqualifies PSU totally. Using adapters is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED.
  • Often weird, budget, dedicated mobo's with no bios upgrades
So the conclusion is:
* what do i get for my 150 pounds / eur from an office computer like this?

The answer:
* i get what i paid for: 100 eur for CPU, 30 eur for motherboard, 20 eur for the rest of the junk. 1050 ti without 6-pin connector is as far as this setup goes.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018
Outdated office cases have great price as You say, but:
  • Probably non-K versions of intel i7 2600, which is a big loss in this case
  • PC cases with bad airflow and stock CPU cooler -> not good for modern GPU's and CPU overcocking. Also often weird cable management inside and not much space for bigger graphic cards.
  • Crappy PSU's with low wattage and often weird motherboard connectors ...or lack of 6/8 pin GPU connectors (12V rails), which disqualifies PSU totally. Using adapters is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED.
  • Often weird, budget, dedicated mobo's with no bios upgrades
So the conclusion is:
* what do i get for my 150 pounds / eur from an office computer like this?

The answer:
* i get what i paid for: 100 eur for CPU, 30 eur for motherboard, 20 eur for the rest of the junk. 1050 ti without 6-pin connector is as far as this setup goes.
I looked up Ryzen 2600 and the cheapest I could find is about 160-200 EUR + a b450 mobo is about 25 EUR and a P67 is 50 EUR so it's not that big of a difference so I think I will go for
i7 2600k
P8P67 mobo
8gb ddr3 1600MHZ ram
a Thermaltake TR2 S 550W as a PSU
I will search a cheap simple case
the only problem is that the 1050ti (the 67EUR one) looks a little strange..
https://www.ebay.it/itm/NVIDIA-GeFo...=17352640580631cd5da54f8445a29a3a99bd32d4970a
I can't find a brand on this GPU..

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
C'mon.... Really?

This is some chineese 'no name' card, probably not even 1050ti, but some old card, pretending to be 1050 ti. At best case, You will get real nvidia 1050ti card that didn't pass quality controll and is beig sold as some chineese brand. (but i wouldn't count on that)

"The product is not compatible with win10 system, it is recommended that you install win7 system. " - oh God, seriously? :)

You need to understand one thing. Cheap things are for rich people. And that concerns almost everything, also Pc parts such as GPU's.
If You don't want to buy Your first computer twice, stop believing in miracles.
If brand new GTX 1050 ti costs about 150EUR, and used one costs about 90-120 EUR, then You just won't get it brand new for 60 on ebay....

If You want to enjoy Your first setup, don't even think about buying this thing

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018
C'mon.... Really?

This is some chineese 'no name' card, probably not even 1050ti, but some old card, pretending to be 1050 ti. At best case, You will get real nvidia 1050ti card that didn't pass quality controll and is beig sold as some chineese brand. (but i wouldn't count on that)

"The product is not compatible with win10 system, it is recommended that you install win7 system. " - oh God, seriously? :)

You need to understand one thing. Cheap things are for rich people. And that concerns almost everything, also Pc parts such as GPU's.
If You don't want to buy Your first computer twice, stop believing in miracles.
If brand new GTX 1050 ti costs about 150EUR, and used one costs about 90-120 EUR, then You just won't get it brand new for 60 on ebay....

If You want to enjoy Your first setup, don't even think about buying this thing
But isn't there a protection from this kind of scams on ebay? Some refund or something?
btw I hate the italian tech market, it's just full of fake, stolen or re-branded stuff and like the 90% of population doesn't even know what's a GPU :rolleyes:
Anyways I'm getting off-track now, thanks for all the help you saved me from a lot of future problems.

Last edited:

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
But isn't there a protection from these kind of scams on ebay? Some refund or something?
It doesn't matter. This is not real 1050ti, and You don't want to put Your money there. You will just get scammed.
I'm not an ebay client, and i'm not aware what rights You have there in Italy, but nothing good will come out of it for sure, so don't even try,

If You want to buy a gaming PC, You have to spend at least about 550-600 eur on it + some screen/keyboard/mouse and maybe some operating system.

If You don't have such money You have two options:

* save money :)
Here is some example of NEW pc. (more or less accurate)
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/W8KYxG

* Buy some prebuilt, used office or gaming setup without warranty, on old i7 like 2600(k). Then maybe You will be able to complete gaming rig based on old office PC for about 200-300 EUR. But at that price, You have to be aware, that next upgrade means next pc.

For 300 eur You won't complete setup based on i7 2600(k), that contains good quality parts (strong psu, good case, good cooling, good graphics, 8+gb fast memory etc).

So don't waste Your money. Spend more, spend them once, buy new and enjoy Your PC - that's my advice.

Last edited: