[SOLVED] I7 2600 better than FX-8350 ?

Oct 10, 2020
I was searching for an AMD equivalent of the I7 2600 (4 Cores, 8 Threads @3.4GHz ).When I stumbled upon the FX-8350 It seemed a better CPU with 8 Cores, 8 Threads @4.0GHz but when I looked up some benchmarks I was quite surprised to find out that the I7 2600 was around 10% better. I don't really know a lot about CPU's but could someone explain? (Sorry in advance for my bad English)
UserBenchmark

Solution
Well... there was a controversy surrounding the FX series around their core count.

144a.jpg

You can read more about the story here: https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/amd-fx-8150-review/2/

The FX 8350 is split into 4 modules.
In short each module would have 2 independently used FPUs per module if an operation requires 128 bit precision, so all eight cores will be used. If an operation requires 256 bit precision the FPU is shared inside the module rendering the 2 cores to team-up... in that situation you can consider the FX a "4-core".

All in all their approach would make the FX 8350 simillar to a 4c/8t I7.

The thing is that the I7 2600 has much better IPC (Instructions...
FX core count should be taken with a grain of salt.
So much so they got sued for it recently. that cpu doesnt actually have 8 cores, its 4 normal cores, then another 4 "half cores" that can only really do a type of instruction that barely gets used.

Amd did not have anything to compete with intel at the time. closest thing would be... either a ryzen 3 1200, or maybe the 8350 if you overclock it to 4.5ghz

Well... there was a controversy surrounding the FX series around their core count.

144a.jpg

You can read more about the story here: https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/amd-fx-8150-review/2/

The FX 8350 is split into 4 modules.
In short each module would have 2 independently used FPUs per module if an operation requires 128 bit precision, so all eight cores will be used. If an operation requires 256 bit precision the FPU is shared inside the module rendering the 2 cores to team-up... in that situation you can consider the FX a "4-core".

All in all their approach would make the FX 8350 simillar to a 4c/8t I7.

The thing is that the I7 2600 has much better IPC (Instructions per Cycle) than the FX-8350... because of that, the 8350 won't be able to keep up with the I7 in most scenarios and in some tasks will be crushed by it.

Last edited:
Solution

bobjackieson

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
I was searching for an AMD equivalent of the I7 2600 (4 Cores, 8 Threads @3.4GHz ).When I stumbled upon the FX-8350 It seemed a better CPU with 8 Cores, 8 Threads @4.0GHz but when I looked up some benchmarks I was quite surprised to find out that the I7 2600 was around 10% better. I don't really know a lot about CPU's but could someone explain? (Sorry in advance for my bad English)
UserBenchmark

Firstly! Userbenchmarks aren't a good way to check stuff out! They have a strange and ineffective testing method...

But for gaming the higher core fx chips are pretty bad for gaming! I would suggest the 2600 is decent and the 8350 isn't actually eight cores... Its just four cores that have been sectioned off to look like eight! Plus it has poor single threaded performance and but is more likely cheaper if your buying used hardware!