I7 2600 overclocking (not k model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballzmcnickel

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I'm not that new to computers but I've never oc'd before. ( i know i suck) Can someone tell me how to overclock a i7 2600 (no k) on a ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 to 4.0 ghz? I want to do this in the next month or so but i need simple but specific instructions. Thanks to anyone willing to help!

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
its going to be alot harder since its a NON-K model.

but you keep raising the BLCK frequency testing stability as you go. (118 will get u just above 4ghz) if you get crashing or blue screens you will need to increase the VCORE

MORE VCORE WILL PRODUCE MORE HEAT

You will need to ensure you have decent RAM as upping the BLCK also overclocks you RAM

Disable:
Limit CPUID Maximum
Power Technology
C1E Support
OverSpeed Protection
Spread Spectrum

Enable:
Internal PLL Overvoltage
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Virtualization Tech

DO NOT EXCEED 1.5v VCORE (for a 24/7 overclock i would stay under 1.4v)
DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT ANY OVERCLOCK WITH THE STOCK CPU COOLER.

with all this in mind you MAY or MAY NOT reach ur desired 4ghz NON-K overclock.
every CPU is different and has its own unique overclocking abilities.

Added
Just saw the above post - DO NOT raise bclock on SB above about 105 to at the Most 108. This is also the freq for pci-e which becomes UNSTABLE very easily when messing with the 100 MHz. END ADDED.

To Overclock a sandybridge CPU you must be able to up the cpu multiplier.
Older Intel CPUs you could adjust the bclock and adjust the multiplier. On the 1155 platform the bclock is set to 100 MHz and only MINOR adjustments should be made.. You can up the bclock about 3 MHz, but above that you start runing into stablity problems (as that is also for the pci-e). This is simply not worth it as 3% to 5 % just is not noticable.

I've heard that you can change the multiplier for the single core (single threaded application) for non k Cpus. So see if it will let you change core 0 to x40. For suck a small OC should not have to adjust vcore, maybe a small amount.

natemare

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have a 2600 non k that I have overclocked to 4.1ghz. These are the steps that I used which are very simple.

When you access your bios you should see this screen:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1686/maximus-iv-extreme-z-bios-29.jpg

Under the system performance area click the button with the flames and the leaf on the speedometer.

Click Exit and save your options

You should now have an overclock that is 4.0 to 4.1 on all cores when turbo boost is applied.

The nonK processors (mine is a 2600 also) can be OC'd to a multiplier of 4 over the rated 'turbo' for your CPU. In other words you have a stock speed of x34, a turbo of x4, and then additional headroom of another x4.

This brings your max multiplier to x42 (34+4+4), which at the default BLCK of 100 will get you to 4.2GHz (or at least really really close to that. Mine would get to 4.18).

This is a turbo boost OC, so your idle clock will still be 1.6GHz, Windows will still say that it is at 3.4GHz, and your clock at load will vary (wildly in some cases). I am running prime95 right now with a 101 BLCK and 42 multiplier, and most of the time the multiplier is hovering around x39-41, with the occasional x42 in there.
With my Hyper212 Evo I am seeing temps in the high 30s to low 40s so far (just started the test 30min ago, and all is well so far.

Oh, and this little OC brought that pesky WEI from 6.9 (limited by stock CPU settings) to a glorious 7.7 (now bottle necked by my 1333 Ram). I'm not a huge OCer (thus why I did not get a 'K' processor), but a bump up from a stock 3.4GHz to my current max of 4.24GHz is making me pretty happy with my 'Non Overclockable' CPU. Especially when there are some 'K' processors out there that cannot get this high.

serggy97

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I have a 2600 non K OC´d to 4,5GHZ on the 8 cores,the multiplier is at x42 and the BLCK at 108.5,the RAM is at 2000mhz

Tested 5 hours on LinX

Cooler:Corsair H100,at idle 32-35C,at Full work 47-50C
Motherboard:Asus V-PRO Z77

Sorry for my English :(

I use to mess with the BLCK, but found that I could OC my GPU (much more important) more if I left the BLCK at 100

My average single core was at 4.2 when under load, running heavily threaded loads I was up at 3.9-4.0, but now that I have a (much) better case I am seeing a much more consistent 4.1-4.2GHz when under full load.

Status
Not open for further replies.