I7-2600 w/ gtx 1050ti or FX-8300 with gtx 1060

Sky_Powder

Prominent
May 8, 2017
so I'm looking forward to buying a PC really soon but i cant decide which one i would need. I don't plan on running AAA games, but games like overwatch and other stuff like that. i know the intel way has a better upgradability scale, but which one would perform better overall

each system will have 8gb of memory, a 2tb hard drive, and I don't plan on overclocking

Solution
May I ask what this system's main use will be?

For a gaming system I recommend the pairing with the 1060, as both cpu's will take you far in gaming, but a GPU like the 1050 might hold you back. If you are gaming on a budget you don't need an i7, not with either of those gpu's.

For a workstation or productivity machine, scoring i7 may be worth the extra money and sacrifice in gpu power. Please remember not all i7s are created equal, though. I am not entirely familiar with that particular processor, but judging by the name and the small bit of research I've done it looks to be a much older generation and therefore requires an older motherboard chipset. Choosing an older processor generally prevents you from having...

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
The intel will be slightly faster in terms of gaming, but not by much because you're using the lower end graphics card with it. The 1060 (get the 6 GB version) is a superior card, so even with a slightly shower cpu with the AMD, my money is on that combination. I always say try to put your money into the graphics if your building a gaming machine. For the record, the FX 8300 platform in AM3+ is also upgradeable to the FX 8350, 8370. The i7 sandy bridge 2600 and 2600k were the fastest sandy bridge processors aside from sandy bridge-E cpus.

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
May I ask what this system's main use will be?

For a gaming system I recommend the pairing with the 1060, as both cpu's will take you far in gaming, but a GPU like the 1050 might hold you back. If you are gaming on a budget you don't need an i7, not with either of those gpu's.

For a workstation or productivity machine, scoring i7 may be worth the extra money and sacrifice in gpu power. Please remember not all i7s are created equal, though. I am not entirely familiar with that particular processor, but judging by the name and the small bit of research I've done it looks to be a much older generation and therefore requires an older motherboard chipset. Choosing an older processor generally prevents you from having access to new advanced features that you may want. A Kaby Lake i5 might just turn out faster than that i7 2600. The 8300 is old, but the 2600 is older.

You should check the prices of the new Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors. With PC hardware becoming cheaper than ever, your budget might take you further than you realized. Choosing one of these newer architecture​s should leave more room for future upgradability as well.

Hope this helps!

-Bahazbz

Solution