Question i7-2600k Cooling advice

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to PC upgrading and gaming and have recently added a new GPU and CPU to my machine, specs as follows:

i7-2600k 3.4GHz
AMD Radeon RC560 4GB
2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS P8H61 motherboard
Stock cooler

Upon monitoring the CPU temperatures, they seem a little high: 40/45ºC idle and 80ºC whilst playing RAGE 2.

To my knowledge, I applied the appropriate amount of paste to the CPU and the cooler is properly positioned, so I'm thinking perhaps it is due to the stock cooler.

Can anybody offer any opinion on the cause of these temps or any advice on a cooler which will fit my board? I was looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212, but I have read that it may not fit into my board due to the placement of the RAM slots.

Any advice owuld be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Lutfij

Titan
If you have the copper slugged stock cooler, those temps are about right. For all intents and purposes, you can't overclock the processor on that board so you should be fine with the stock cooler for years to come. If you're very annoyed by those temps, you could look at something like a CoolerMaster Hyper212x or their ilk or even a Cryorig H7 but that is just adding more money to something you don't need. Maybe see if your airflow in the case can be improved...?

Reactions: throwawayaccnt

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi, thanks for such a quick response!

I don't think the cooler is copper, it appears to be aluminium, like this guy:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/AM3+_Stock_Cooler_2_2016-07-06.jpg

So you appear to be saying that these temps are not a problem and there is not much point in adding a cooler, is that the case? It's just that I have seen the standard ranges for this card stated in several places as quite a lot lower.

Thanks!

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
What type of case do you have? airflow is important, do you have adequate intake/exhaust? I agree with the above recommendations for upgrading your cooler, should help immensely. You'd probably be able to upgrade both your cooling and chassis for less than $100

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
What type of case do you have? airflow is important, do you have adequate intake/exhaust? I agree with the above recommendations for upgrading your cooler, should help immensely. You'd probably be able to upgrade both your cooling and chassis for less than $100

HI, thanks for the input!

I'm realizing that the case is probably the main problem. It's pretty small, not a huge amount of airflow. I guess I should really look at upgrading that first.

In the short term, do you think that the temps I mention are a major problem or not really anything to worry too much about?

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
80c isn't that bad and won't kill your cpu but what's your ambient temp and is it likely to be warmer during the winter/summer periods?

Ideally would want some air flow so warm air isn't sitting too long accumulating. See what case fans you can get or opening the side panel can help a bit too.

Shouldn't have any trouble with the 212's heatsink and ram clearance but fan might be, if so, can always raise the fan a bit, they're only help on by clips connecting to the sink fins.

Check measurements if/before you buy a cooler.

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
80c isn't that bad and won't kill your cpu but what's your ambient temp and is it likely to be warmer during the winter/summer periods?

Ideally would want some air flow so warm air isn't sitting too long accumulating. See what case fans you can get or opening the side panel can help a bit too.

Shouldn't have any trouble with the 212's heatsink and ram clearance but fan might be, if so, can always raise the fan a bit, they're only help on by clips connecting to the sink fins.

Hello. Thanks a lot for the input.

I think that in order to add a cooler, I'm going to need to upgrade my case. The one I have is a little over 16cm wide and I think that's a little thin for the coolers mentioned.

Any case recomendations for a PC gamin n00b?

Thanks

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
HI, thanks for the input!

I'm realizing that the case is probably the main problem. It's pretty small, not a huge amount of airflow. I guess I should really look at upgrading that first.

In the short term, do you think that the temps I mention are a major problem or not really anything to worry too much about?

Thanks

Short term no, long term I would advise against letting them run that high. Personally 40's for ambient temps is too high for my liking, I like to keep my temps within mid 30s while idle. From what you described it seems like a combination of your airflow and stock cooler, 80 degrees on your cpu won't kill it but given that its reaching that high during just gaming I would definitely look at upgrading your cooler and your chassis.

Does your case have intake or exhaust fans? If so, how many of each?

Good advice ^^ measure twice, buy once

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Short term no, long term I would advise against letting them run that high. Personally 40's for ambient temps is too high for my liking, I like to keep my temps within mid 30s while idle. From what you described it seems like a combination of your airflow and stock cooler, 80 degrees on your cpu won't kill it but given that its reaching that high during just gaming I would definitely look at upgrading your cooler and your chassis.

Does your case have intake or exhaust fans? If so, how many of each?

Good advice ^^ measure twice, buy once

My case has neither of those things! Definitely time to upgrade.

I have actually acheived a pretty decent improvement in temp by re-applying the thermal paste to the CPU and adjusting the placement of the heatsink. It is now idling at around 30 and hitting around 65 when gaming - pretty great improvement! Being a complete n00b in this world, I guess I had applied the paste poorly or not attached the heatsink properly when replacing the CPU!

Regardless, I think I will follow your advice and find a well ventillated case.

Thanks so much for the help!