I7 2600k oc

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
i am new to this field(overclocking). from whati have read, i think the intel have unlocked the k series ie multiplier can be adjusted. But at the same time won't the warranty be broken if overclocking is done.
also is a external cooler essential for oc 2600k(multiplier change to 40keeping the voltage and bclk at stock (100mhz)) if using a stock cooler is enough then what would be the max temp. or is it the other way ie does multiplier change, bring about voltage change automatically. need explanation guys.
apart from this is it better not to overclock if you are planning to use the system fora period of say 5yrs.(lifespan consideration) need help dudes.
gaming would be the most cpu stressing factor in my case and do gaming requires a higher clock, ie wont 3.8ghz(with turbo) be enough with today's games(with a decent gpu). also is turbo boost by default active or should we manually switch it on(motherboard does support turbo boost).
whats your opinion...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
OC'ing is part of the design consideration for the K series of CPUs. Intel built them with unlocked cores to serve the enthusiast market. OEMs for mobos and Intel write the OC'ing off warranty, because of the dumass things some OC'ers do: how can you warranty a chip that is liquid N2 cooled (there are videos at Youtube).

With that in mind, most mobo OEMs build in options in BIOS for OC'ing. ASRock, for example, wrote options for preset factory OC's to 4.8 GHz. By doing this they have an entry to enthusiasts who are not as tech savvy and can provide some degree of safety to enthusiasts because their settings are tested and proven. Now, they don't warrant users that the OC settings are safe or normal use, but there are a lot fewer bricked mobos because newbies and those short of tecno-nerd status don't overvolt their rigs.

The rule of OC'ing is that if you are going to OC you SHOULD use a good aftermarket cooler. The standard Intel cooler is hardly recommended for long life, much less OC'ing. If your aim is to prove that you can achieve a OC you may be able to do it without aftermarket cooling, but watch the temps and don't do stress testing. While this does not prove stability, a lot of people just want to have bragging rights.

For most purposes OC'ing is unnecessary. The processors are powerful enough without the extra speed. OC'ing is mostly for extreme gamers who demand the most of their rigs.

The degree of OC'ing and use of the PC will effect the lifespan of the CPU. I have a set OC at 4.0 GHz because this setting is not too extreme on the CPU and it gives me 10% + more than the factory setting. I have gotten it up to 4.8 GHz (with the UEFI settings) and run stress tests, but backed it down for lifespan considerations. Chip design, be it CPU or GPU calls for processors to have a maximum limit and a safe operationsl setting. Virtually all processors can be OC'd to some degree, but that's when you run into warranty limitations.

As a newbie, I recommend that you stick to the UEFI options for OC'ing (if you OC) because trial and error is much more likely to brick your components.

I recommend that you use an aftermarket cooler in any case: it will prolong the life of your components.

OC at your discretion and risk. OC'ing CPUs for gaming is mostly unnecessary as most games are more GPU limited. Most gaming sees a greater boost from GPU OC'ing than CPU OC'ing.