[SOLVED] i7-2600K questions

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, tonight I made a small upgrade on my i5 to an i7-2600K. Have a few questions. :)

1. Is hyper threading of the 2600k turned on by default? And is it good that it's turned on?

2. Are these temps fine?
ker3f9.jpg

3. Actually, an accident happened while I was putting the cpu. The cooler fell on the cpu, cpu made a backflip and a little thermal paste was smeared onto the pins.. I was petrified seeing that. Thought the pc was dead for sure... thankfully, the paste spilled was mostly on the sides, was able to wipe away very gently with a clean soft rag. The tiny speck that got into the pins, I also got it off gently with the rag. The pc booted fast and there seems to be no problem.

wmk2ej.jpg

Solution
The stock cooler will not be up to the task for the i7, particularly under load.

Task manager/performance tab will show core/thread count. I am fairly sure (without checking) that CPU-Z will as well.

edit- as a matter of fact, the pic you posted shows that it's not HT right now. Cores 4/threads 4.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Without knowing your ambient and what cooler you are using I would say yes. An i5 to i7 swap should be utilizing a cooler up to task, if you weren't already using one. Case air flow and ambient can have a large effect on temps.

HT should be on by default. Swapping out the CPU will require you to update your drivers/chipset and likely not a bad idea to go ahead and do a clean install just to clear out the old mess. If you aren't seeing HT it could be related to the driver and/or could be damage related to a bad CPU or even the paste accident. It takes very little to compromise an LGA pad. The good is they are typically easy to look and see if anything is off and repair with patience and good eyes.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
using only Intel stock cooler for now, but planning to upgrade it to a Cooler Master 150c. Case is a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT. Also, a Noctua NF-A9 is on it's way in the mail to provide better case cooling.

Where do I check to know if HT is turned on or not?

Speaking of drivers... when the pc still had the i5-2500k, Windows 10 downloaded Intel HD Graphics 3000 for the i5. Would this driver work with the i7 as well?

slsxv5.jpg

the paste accident is one of the more terrifying things I've seen. Hopefully, it's resolved already. Doomed if this pc dies , because my backup pc (on sig) does not have the strength to run the games that this budget gaming pc has.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The stock cooler will not be up to the task for the i7, particularly under load.

Task manager/performance tab will show core/thread count. I am fairly sure (without checking) that CPU-Z will as well.

edit- as a matter of fact, the pic you posted shows that it's not HT right now. Cores 4/threads 4.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
played a few rounds of DOA 6, which is the most graphically demanding game on the pc. The temps do shoot up to 60 degrees. You're right, I need a better cooler.

5n3z0w.jpg

_

used the wmic command "CPU Get NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors /Format:List". Showed the number of cores and logical processors are the same, so HT is not enabled. Well, it's actually a blessing that it's not enabled, heard somewhere that HT causes a cpu to run hotter. Will just enable it when I get a better cooler. :)

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
wait... there's still a problem. GPU-Z and HWMonitor sees the i7-2600k. But Windows seems to still see the i5-2500k.

is there a way to fix this?

cqbqho.jpg

___

EDIT:

restarting the pc fixed the problem.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
already ordered the Cooler Master 150c. Hopefully, it cools down the i7 enough for me to use hyper threading. :)

anyway, this cpu amazes me. With only intel stock cooler, tried ony by one... Genshin Impact, Soul Calibur VI, and Dead or Alive 5.. it's comfortable at 40-50 degrees. Dead or Alive 6 is the only game in my pc that can make it's temp reach 60 degrees. Not bad, considering that this is almost a decade old cpu.

Last edited: