I7 2600k w/ 1866MHz memory?

bradkman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. I did overclock my current memory to match the 9-10-9-28 timings @ 1866MHz from the link I provided above, and my WEI score went from 7.8 to 7.9. I'm wondering if it's worth the overclock, or if I should run the ram at stock settings which are 9-9-9-24 @ 1600MHz.

Also, I've run Prime95 with the ram overclocked, and get no errors, so I'm assuming that the ram is stable at the overclock settings. What would you recommend I do; stay at the overclocked settings or go back to the stock settings?

Thanks again for your help!

I posted my reply from my iPhone originally, but I wanted to also add this article. It's interesting and illustrates various head-to-head testing. -> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

Nope, I would leave them as you have them and run them at Rated speeds, the Ripjaws X are excellent RAM, and I'm very pleased to see that you've had good success. If you plan on OC the CPU, my assumption is yes, then I would recommend you manually set the Frequency, CAS Timings, and DRAM Voltages that is if you hadn't already done so. Also, if you do have any issues then also look at the QPI/DRAM {a/k/a IMC} Voltage, but only if needed.

Good Luck! :)

bradkman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Thanks a lot for your advise - it was very helpful! The article was great! :)

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
One of the benefits of having an unlocked multiplier is that you don't have to worry about your CPU forcing your RAM to keep up with it when you OC, and you can set the memory ratio as you please. This is especially true in Sandy Bridge, where the "old" overclocking method of setting the FSB/BCLK no longer works.

If you plan to OC the memory, touch the voltages last, especially if you have never OCed memory before. Even then, don't go above 1.65v. Besides, OCing memory has the least effect on performance, as evidenced by this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

Enjoy your sweet build.