I7 2600k, What thermal paste to use on very safe OC?

BlizzardGamer

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
So Im going to buy i7 2600k, since i7 3770k seems to overheat too much - its all over the internet, just look it up.
But Im conserned if the i7 2600k stock thermal paste is enough, including the intel boxed heatsink it comes with.
Im sure there isnt exactly right answear to it, so Im all ears for your know how.
Please gurus, teach me the differences between stock thermal paste and whats out there, thank you.

-BlizzardGamer

Artic Silver 5, MX-4 there are alot of good ones out there. Most will be a difference of a few degrees. The ones I would avoid are the cheap white ones that are runny and kind of look like Elmers glue. That stuff is junky.

G

After the job you pool for me i will not come if you need me?

Indigo extreme was the best thermal condactivity 20 W/mK, Is a bit hard to apply as need’s to get the processor at 90 c it comes with 2-3 in the package as the instructions is a bit messy but worth is worth it -5 c they see anyone who tried or more.

http://indigo-xtreme.com/

The come off is a bit tricky and you may scrach the cpu surface.

There are metallic thermal pastes any metal alloy always has the best results but they always a risk as they are electrical conductive and you apply it with a brash that comes with they have and video how to apply:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/colipro1.html

is worth to try but the removal is difficult you may lose the warrantee as it goes deep the heat spreader microstructure.

The rest are more or less the same with PK-1 Thermal Compound a bit better:

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=163&page=1

Always easy to apply, remove.

Artic silver is very popular and easies to find but with ceramic 2 a bit better.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

I say go with artic silver 5 to the stock any better isn’t worth it as it spreads the heat all over the motherboard as you know. This processor is for OC a better cooler is need NH-D14 is the best choice the assymetrical desing allows you to put heat sink memory dims and the 140x140 that gets below is cooling and the ram!! The good news about this cooler the thermal paste is very good and you don't to risk enything else exept indigo, is worth any penny!

Ps 4Ryan6 above is very experienced with these also good to read his round-up's

BlizzardGamer

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Now Im having problem finding proper CPU Cooler solution that is below 16 cm.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE takes up 17cm with the fans, and Noctua NH-D14 is still too large
Height (with fan) 16 cm!

G

Why do you have mini ATX motherboard? Only there they have problem with the memory dimms. NH-D14 fits even to a midi tower and the cooling effect is better because the air doesn’t travel bigger distances like the full towers but you have no room to put your hands deep inside… What is your box?

Anyway someone dared to delete my report thread in here and as I reply to this action I deleted all the images I had upload none of my post links is working over the forum, I did set my nick for termination and can happen in any moment.

PS I had all the usefull links in there i'm lost without it, i clicked to your nick to find your posts in other threads and i found nothing i needed to read your specs.
PS2 They have no clue in what depth i have explored the cooling solutions even for indigo i communicated with Enerdyne Solutions for using a termnal lamp to meld it down and create cpu coolers with indigo pre-istalled! At that time i was communicating prive with 4Ryan6 and i did paste to him their reply was negative.. 'veterans' i had my account terminated and i did open it only to talk to 4Ryan6 the public is nothing to me can you imagine the surprice my cooling solutions not to work to a chip? i will never forgive intel for this 'mistake'.....

G

It fits tou have 19,9 depth and Nocua is 16 hight it will be really close to the side but that ok. The problem with the hands above exists.

There is another problem nobady figure it out! NH-D14 is very powerfull and it will drag air from the dvd's if you smoke is going air to dvd's and they damaged without using them is better if you had a pc box with a door closed to the dvd's or you may forced to change them without even using them...

PS And evo is good for your case you will have some space to play inside better...

Your box is very very small i mean NH-D14 so close to the dvd's.... better go with evo

19 cm = 190 mm so you can view the dimentions by your self

A chip solution box for NH-D14 is mambo thermaltake

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/chassis/midtower/mambo/vc2000bns.asp

it has the door closed and needs only some black tape to put making sure the air will not come for the dvd's also you must open 2 halls by the side for 120x120 fans becaouse the airflow to that case is not good by default.

finaly raven rv03 nobady really knows how many problems is solving.

It means that it can use two fans. One "pushing" air through the fins, like the one that it comes with will be doing, and one that you can add to it that will be "pulling" air through the fins. Two fans working together like that allows for slightly better cooling efficiency. I have my own 212 Evo setup in push/pull, actually, and it's about 3-4C cooler under load than with just one fan. No difference at idle, though.

Edit: I see that you saw amuffin's post on it that explains it very well too.

I always use Arctic Silver 5. Push pull means to have two fans one pushing air in, one pull out the air.

Artic Silver 5 is good but it does have a few drawbacks mainly it's 200 hour cure time. Other thermal paste like Prolimatrich-1 and MX 4 give the same performance but has no curing time.

TBH, I've never actually seen any difference in my own experiences with it. Same temps after 200 (or more) hours as when I first installed whatever HSF it was at the time.

Still, it's the only TIM I use.

BlizzardGamer

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

I see you have G.Skill memory, Im planin to get them myself too. Is 8GB enough or should I get 16gb instead, or would that be over doing it?

Didn't know my posts showed up on the UK site.

Anyways, thanks for reading it :D

BlizzardGamer

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Hey, watch this when you have extra time, 33 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkGQhE1o2w
There is some stuff explained considering i7 3770k overcloking.
Also here 40 minutes, 3770k running at 94C somewhere at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jwCe0QXT0

G

I say i run my cpu at 3Ghz idle and i get 3.3 at 100% the only think that stoping me as a wall to go above is the 60 c to the cores i can't allow more.

In plain english why intel didn't put the 80 W/mK solder all over the cores? that box could be made by the same stuff then can you imagine how low the tempratures will run? you goanna hit 10 Ghz on air my frient.

Someting bigger is behind all these 'false' moves do i need to say it?

Ps Seens I almost through up everything in here lest started to analyze why Intel did that move?

1) They force me to recommend i7 3820 or i7 3930K processors as a best choice for LGA 2011 upgrade to the users that want to upgrade now. So maybe intel had stock of these processors as anyone was going for 2500k that became more popular build. In simple words they decided to through out their stock to the market. Bottom line smart or not Intel is using us a moppet show all the time.

2) They are sorry releasing an unlock cpu as anyone got higher frequency easy, maybe expected from us to burn faster thanks to Noctua they failed so decided to burn us for good faster, I mean ivy is goanna burn faster just because it’s smaller simple logic.

3) More corporations may involve at this move as the people will start looking for new cooling solutions getting new coolers, new boxes just to get maximized the air flow to the cpu cooler to the maximum. The run, run and buy, buy ‘new’ stuff mode is ON, there is no better business like computer business.

Don’t push me I will expose you like no one before.