i7 2600k will not go past 3.4GHz

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi,

My i7 2600k has been running at 4.2GHz for years with no problem on my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3. However, recently my power button broke (and got stuck on) and my PC thought the OC had failed so reverted settings. I left this for a month as I didn't need the speed.

I went back to re-overclock and had my settings written down from before. However, whenever I run these settings now (42x multiplier, no turbo, Normal vcore with -0.050v offset) the PC will boot at 4.2GHz, but as soon as I start prime 95 it drops to 3.4GHz.

I updated the BIOS to no effect. I then tried disabling the OC and leaving it at the default 34x multiplier with turbo and the same thing happened. It would go to 3.5GHz upon startup but then drop to 34x as soon as I start P95.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution

Keep that on, I've overclocked my CPU to 4.5ghz 2600k.
Though perhaps you want to check to see if there is a bios update for your motherboard.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Over time things just don't work as efficiently as they used to. Have you tried dusting out your motherboard/CPU? It's tiny buildups like this that prevent things from working like it used to. Another important thing is that you still need to work your way up to that initial level. Try testing to a OC level that is 10% LESS than what you had it at and see what happens. If the same thing occurs, try 10% less of that and test again. Good luck!

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

Yes I get this, though I would have thought it could keep the 3.5GHz stock turbo going OK! Will go and open up case now and see what it looks like.

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Very odd, I opened up the PC. Little dust since I cleaned it earlier in the year. Upon restarting, it stayed at 4.2GHz in P95 for 30+ seconds, giving me hope that it was fixed. But no, it then dropped down to 3.4GHz. Temps were good, ~50C (still not put the side of the case back on!) and turbo is deactivated, so I can't imagine there's any weird over current stuff happening with turbo disabled. Though there is an item "CPU Over Current Protection" which is separate to the turbo function. I can't find much about that item online. Does anyone know?

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Keep that on, I've overclocked my CPU to 4.5ghz 2600k.
Though perhaps you want to check to see if there is a bios update for your motherboard.

Solution