i7-2670QM ?????

alg48212

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hello,
guys and gals. small question. Is the i7-2670QM a good processor for video editing. I need a laptop and has to be a laptop. I have a dual core t6400 dual core intel and take me 10 min to render 30sec. on vegas pro. please help out, i love this board been looking everywhere here but mostly its all cpu recommendations for video gaming. THank u

ps also if you have any suggestion for a laptop under 800.

Solution
Yes, for a laptop there are not many processors that are better, and those that are better are massively more expensive for little gain in performance.

I have a 2630QM and considering it's a laptop, its performance in adobe premiere pro is nothing short of astonishing. Realtime editing with multi-layer effects no problem at all.

Yep, the 2700k in my desktop is better still but gone are the days where portability implies bad performance.

Edited to add that given your budget, your best bet is to get one of the cheaper i7QMs and spend what you're saving on the processor on an SSD and 8GB. Premiere pro will use any memory you throw at it and I assume Vegas is the same. Definitely get a QM and not one of the dual cores, but the...

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Yes, for a laptop there are not many processors that are better, and those that are better are massively more expensive for little gain in performance.

I have a 2630QM and considering it's a laptop, its performance in adobe premiere pro is nothing short of astonishing. Realtime editing with multi-layer effects no problem at all.

Yep, the 2700k in my desktop is better still but gone are the days where portability implies bad performance.

Edited to add that given your budget, your best bet is to get one of the cheaper i7QMs and spend what you're saving on the processor on an SSD and 8GB. Premiere pro will use any memory you throw at it and I assume Vegas is the same. Definitely get a QM and not one of the dual cores, but the supposedly high end ones cost much, much more for limited performance gains.

Solution

alg48212

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

thank you for your answer, good feedback since you have the 2630qm.much appreciated.

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Check out the Dell XPS 17 (that's what I have). Might be above budget but you can configure it with an i7QM and 8GB. In my opinion it's fairly close to the ideal laptop for video editing because of its strong performance, 1080p screen and twin drive bays. The latter is useful if you want to have a fast SSD for the OS/apps and a high capacity second drive for data. If you do go the SSD route, don't get the Dell one because it's too expensive. What most people do is buy an SSD and fit it themselves.

Only real disadvantage of this laptop is it's a bit big and hefty.

More info here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-XPS-17-Notebook-i7-2630QM-GT-555M.51949.0.html

Where do you want to buy from? You really want a laptop with an nvidia gpu so you can take advantage of CUDA with vegas! However, I personally would have boughten an asus g53sx, but ivybridge mobile laptops are right around the corner! This is the same with laptops that feature nvidia kepler gpu's. I would wait a little bit before you decide to purchase anything. But if you were, I would get this one: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?mtm-item=%3A000001C9%3A00001EBE%3A
The lenovo y570 is onsale this week, for $750 and you can customize it too! It comes with an i7-2670qm and a gt555m, so that means you get an awesome quad and CUDA to render your videos faster :)