i7 3630qm Temperatures

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello all.

I am running an i7 3630qm CPU in an Asus n56-vj-dh71 laptop. It is not overclocked and is running as it was out of the box.

My ambient room temps have been around ~73-78 degrees (~22-25 Celsius).

I am using HWMonitor to track the temps, which shows fluctuations.

Sitting idle with no programs open, I'm getting ~38-45c. Gaming (Bioshock Infinite), I'm getting ~78-87c.

I know heat isn't good for the CPU, so have I done any damage? I plan on playing in a far cooler air conditioned environment next time. I haven't gamed much at all yet, as I use this laptop for graphic design/some video work.

I do know about elevated cooling pads, etc.

Any answers are most appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Laptop environments are very, very different from desktop environments.

You have done no damage, the CPU was designed to run in much hotter environments.

However, I recommend that you get your load temperatures underneath 85C. Under 80C is the sweet spot.

However, as long as it is under 90C, it is not damaging at all.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Laptop environments are very, very different from desktop environments.

You have done no damage, the CPU was designed to run in much hotter environments.

However, I recommend that you get your load temperatures underneath 85C. Under 80C is the sweet spot.

However, as long as it is under 90C, it is not damaging at all.

Solution

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

ALWAYS buy a cheap laptop cooler pad. (anything will do)

It will help a lot with cooling and the eventual throttling..........

But ya. Like the guy above said. Laptops are designed to work in anything up to 90C.
Anything below is pretty much acceptable for a laptop. (only bad thing is there would be heavy throttling from the lack of turbo overclocks)

Asus N56 doesn't have a hefty cooling system and 3630qm generates a lot of heat compared to other laptop CPUs, so ~80 Celcius degree while gaming is quite acceptable, there's no need to worry about it. I'd suggest keeping the bottom of your laptop above the surface below a bit to generates more space for air intake ( the vents to intake airs is located at the bottom of your machine ).

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Thanks so much for the info, and it's good to hear everything seems normal. I think lower ambient temps may get me to that sweet spot. This is the first powerful CPU I've ever had, so not much experience with them.

Thanks again!

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, this non-overclocked CPU is still so far ahead of what I've used before, I'm more than good with it. It's handled like a champ thus far.

Great to hear this is ok. Thanks again!

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I've got it on a cheapo Targus cooling mat. I did have it sitting on a metal chest, and being that metal pulls heat out, I'm wondering which is better. I'll stick with the mat for now. Thanks to your all's input, I understand now about optimal temps for this CPU. Considering the ambient room temps during the gaming, I feel pretty confident I can get the loads under or at 80c in a cooler room.

Thanks so much for the feedback! This is why I love this forum.