[SOLVED] i7-3770 K, S, T which better

Solution
Hi and Welcome!

It depends on what you plan on doing with the system.

i7-3770
  • This of this as your base model. The stock i7 as-is with expected features and functionality.
i7-3770K
  • Intel K CPUs are unlocked. They have their multiplier removed for overclocking purposes.
i7-3770S & i7-3770T
  • The S and T models are very similar to the K model, but sacrifices some performance in favor for better value and power draw.

If I were you, I'd recommend just going with an i7-3770 as-is. This is already dated hardware and I wouldn't put a whole lot of money into it.
Hi and Welcome!

It depends on what you plan on doing with the system.

i7-3770
  • This of this as your base model. The stock i7 as-is with expected features and functionality.
i7-3770K
  • Intel K CPUs are unlocked. They have their multiplier removed for overclocking purposes.
i7-3770S & i7-3770T
  • The S and T models are very similar to the K model, but sacrifices some performance in favor for better value and power draw.

If I were you, I'd recommend just going with an i7-3770 as-is. This is already dated hardware and I wouldn't put a whole lot of money into it.

Reactions: Rezec
Solution

muffinmanbored

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018
alrighty

the K after the cpu means that it is unlocked and able to be overclocked
the S after the cpu means that theres a little lower performance in exchange for lower power draw.
and T after the cpu means Power-optimized lifestyle" - much lower performance, but also much lower power draw.
so i would agree with tennis on this one

Yes, since I own a Z series board (Z77), I purchased a 3770 (plain) for $50 (USA) since it can be OC'd +4x on the multiplier, resulting in 4.3GHz for 1&2 cores loaded, 4.2GHz for 3 cores loaded, and 4.1GHz for all cores loaded. I could go further with BCLK increases, but I chose not to due to instability risk in BCLK adjustments on Ivy Bridge.

It was a nice little upgrade from my 3570K which was only getting 4.2-4.3GHz all-core anyway. I could've sold that chip to recoup most of my upgrade costs, but I needed a chip to upgrade my grandma's comp. Hopefully the 3770 tides me over until late 2021 and DDR5.....we'll see.