Question i7-3770 or i7-3770S or not at all

ragnar-gd

Reputable
I own the ZEROtherm BTF95, a very beautiful passive cooler, that is certified for 65W TDP CPUs. I use it in a classic red Chieftec CS-601 with window, which fits just great with some red LEDs inside. And a i5 3550S beneath (65W TDP, 4c/4t/3.0/3.7GHz)

Oh, yes, and a GTX 980 OC 4GB below.

I could now update to a rather hard-to-get i7-3770S for about €115 (65W TDP, 4c/8t/3.1/3.9GHz), but, by chance, have a free i7-3770 besides me (77W TDP, 4c/8t/3.4/3.9GHz).

What do i do?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What's stopping you from trying the i7-3770 in there and see how to goes? You can always try to undervolt.

But if 115 is worth it to you, then go for it.

I have an i3-4130T that I use for my HTPC. Just slapped an i7-4770k cooler on it and it is fairly quiet. (Probably need to consider replacing that at some point, been running a few years now)

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Normally, i would just try out, and not care much. But that PC is leaving my home with some person very valuable to me, to some far-away place. The PC primarily has to look good, over all, but still, the GTX 980 needs some engine too feed it...
A passive cooler as the BTF95, even if in a case with 2 intake and 2 outtake 80mm, may have the MoBo age faster than i would like to, if overwhelmed. But if 65W TDP can be handled safely, i wonder if 77W TDP is still a safe enough bet. It's difficult to get reviews of the i7-3770, as everyone and their mum, and dog, reviewed the i7-3770K, and about the BTF95 as well.
So, the question is rather specifically aimed at people who have some skill and experience with passive cooling.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I understand the cooler is passive. Not sure I understand your concern about the motherboard aging faster. A few degrees here or there on the VRMs aren't going to make a huge difference. Their operating range is much greater than integrated circuits.

So there isn't time to test the configuration? Even an hour or two would prove something.

TDP is a generalization and not all that reliable anyway. If the temperature gets out of control the CPU will throttle and you may end up with less clock speed then you have now with the i5. The i7-3770s should stay within its range better. Only difference between it and the 3770 is some better binning and lowering the base clock.

I don't think you are going to find anyone with that exact configuration anytime soon.

Could always look into a non-passive cooler... Certainly some nice ones that are barely audible.