i7 3770 or newer i5?

Celsius22

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
I currently have i3 2100 and planning to upgrade so my dilemma is to buy a brand new i7 3770? or used i7 3770. is it safe to buy a used i7 3770? I choose the non k so I'm confident it's not abused because it's not overclocked and also my mobo MSI H61M does not fully support overclocking. So my second choice is to buy a brand new i5 and buy a new mobo too. my budget is only $300 so can you suggest more options? or can you help me with my options?

Solution

CPUs that have been over-volted may suffer different degrees of electromigration which may impact future stability and overclocking results.

For a non-OC CPU that hasn't been physically, electrically or thermally abused, you can expect lifespan exceeding 10 years from first use - all of my PCs that I still had meaningful uses for after 10 years still worked perfectly fine by the time I permanently retired them.

InvalidError

Titan
For 99% of gaming, there is no benefit to the i7 over the i5 and getting a Skylake i5 gets you a bunch of platform updates.

If you don't care for DDR4, NVMe SSDs, SATA Express, USB 3.1, etc., then there is nothing wrong with sparing yourself the expense of upgrading the motherboard and RAM by going with an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7.

Celsius22

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

Oops I just accidentally chose the best answer lol for now I don't really want to upgrade to the skylake because it's too expensive should I buy i7 or i5?

Celsius22

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

the i7 3770 is like only $180 but its 2nd hand. I'm also rendering and editing in sony vegas pro?

InvalidError

Titan

If you are certain that the chip is in good working condition and will get shipped correctly, then the i7 would be a good pick for video editing - you won't get an i5 that performs equally well for $180.

Another option would be to look at LGA1155 Xeons: you may be able to find one new-in-box for $200-240.

Celsius22

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

I will test it in their house. I've read in one forum that a 2nd hand cpu has only 2 state
working and dead if its working then theres no need to worry. is it true?

InvalidError

Titan

CPUs that have been over-volted may suffer different degrees of electromigration which may impact future stability and overclocking results.

For a non-OC CPU that hasn't been physically, electrically or thermally abused, you can expect lifespan exceeding 10 years from first use - all of my PCs that I still had meaningful uses for after 10 years still worked perfectly fine by the time I permanently retired them.

Solution