Question I7-3770 slows computer

JoshDavis1210

Prominent
Jun 2, 2018
I installed my new CPU just today and when I booted it up I immediately got smacked across the face with slower results and underperforming in nearly every aspect.

I do not know what the real issue is and so I came here to for assistance.

My specs as follows:
Mobo: GA-B75M-D3V
CPU: I7-3770 (3.40 GHz)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
GPU: NIVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
2 Monitors (hooked to GPU)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16000 2x8 GB

Help please?

If you are comparing it to other 3770k results its not a surprise.

Its hampered by the B75 chipset. And if you are running graphics benchmarks its hampered by the 1030

If you are comparing it to another ivy bridge / sandy bridge you previously had, then i would say something else is wrong. Did you check the xmp profile for the memory was being used?

Also let ok at cpu z and run intel validator on it.

Im still rocking a 3770k @ 4.4Ghz. And with a rx580 it can still rock high frame rates at 1080p and reasonable frame rates @ 1440p with some details turned down.

Last edited:

JoshDavis1210

Prominent
Jun 2, 2018
If you are comparing it to other 3770k results its not a surprise.

Its hampered by the B75 chipset. And if you are running graphics benchmarks its hampered by the 1030

If you are comparing it to another ivy bridge / sandy bridge you previously had, then i would say something else is wrong. Did you check the xmp profile for the memory was being used?

Also let ok at cpu z and run intel validator on it.

Im still rocking a 3770k @ 4.4Ghz. And with a rx580 it can still rock high frame rates at 1080p and reasonable frame rates @ 1440p with some details turned down.

No clue what’s the xmp profile is, cpu z and intel validator I will also need help on.

InvalidError

Titan
No no, it's an i7, but it's a Generation 3 i7... meaning it was worse when I actually found out my i3 is a Gen 5
Gen 5 would be Broadwell (requires 90-series chipset) and that wouldn't work on 70-series motherboards, sockets would also be different, LGA1150 instead of LGA1155.

The most obvious reason for an i7 to severely under-perform would be thermal throttling, so you may want to start with checking core temperatures using HWInfo or other similar tool on your secondary display while doing somewhat CPU-intensive stuff. Temperature should max out around 80C with a properly mounted stock HSF.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

JoshDavis1210

Prominent
Jun 2, 2018
I appreciate the help and skepticism, but talk with my father (who has a good hand in computer hardware) had told me the issue, saying that I simply got a bad core.

Eitherway, I am planning to get a new motherboard (being 7 years old) with a CPU fitted for it that will be peer viewed with my father so that I know what I am doing, thanks for the help though.