i7 3770 upgrade options ? Confusion

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
So , im looking at if its worthwhile upgrading my i7 which I've had for a while now.

I currently have a gtx 1070 with it and I cant help but feel that sometimes my i7 holds me back !

Im undecided about an i7 7700(k) or i5 7600(k)
Looking around the web the i5 performs slightly under my current i7 ?! which makes no sense ...

the 7700 performs slightly better in tests on Passmark 9000ish for the old and 12000 ish for the new

the annoying part is, for gaming some sites say that the i7 does have an advantage, whilst other sites have said - stick to i5 7600 :S

to top that all off, I'd need to consider new Mobo and Ram ...

any help would be greatly appreciated - or if you're in the same situation - what are you planning ?

Solution

just don't want to be disappointed when you get a new rig and don't see much difference and just waste of money otherwise it's always better to have the latest components :D
The difference between a 3770 and 7700 is noticeable, but it's not actually all that big. Intel has improved performance per clock maybe 15% since Ivy Bridge, and increased clock speed slightly.

Many recent games are starting to take advantage of the extra threads an i7 has, and hyperthreading is often worth as much as 30% extra performance, so moving to a modern i5 would be a downgrade in many cases.

What games are you seeing performance problems in? What's your CPU and GPU utilization when you're seeing framerate dips? How low is it going?

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

as my opinion if i were you i would stay with 3770k for a year or two but if you have extra money to spend then choose i7 7700 k over 7600k if you read news you would see both AMD and INTEL making cpus with more core so going over wouldn't be wise.
if you want to update to 7700 k atleast you gonna need new cpu+mobo+ddr4 ramkits+(and maybe new psu).

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I had a 3770k w/ a 1070 and did not have any issues whatsoever. Even though it's older, it still performs very good and competes with the newer cpu's. If it were me, I'd consider doing the 7700k upgrade... but would not switch to the 7600k(not enough of an improvement there)

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

To be fair, most of the time i dont keep the stats up - I end up spending more time 'tinkering' with things than enjoying the game, however _ I think most of the games are rumoured across the web as CPU heavy titles at times: World of Warcraft, Just Cause 3, Planet Coaster - to name a few.

Most of the time I can change the AA within a game and it has no effect, which to me suggests that its not th GPU thats being held back ( if it can handle higher AA and keep the same FPS, surely that suggests its a cpu bottleneck ? )

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Yeah - see im concerned about spending what I consider a decent chunk of money - for it to then be de-valued by the new cpus - I get that we can never be at the front of the PC tech....but it would be nice for it to last a while...

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

I'm so tempted to sell my 1070 and buy the 1080 :bounce: !

Yeah if memory serves, BF ran really well !

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Yeah, see thats what im thinking....if its only a small upgrade - whats the point ! MOBO, RAM and another CPU.

sigh.

I do get excited about putting together a diff build..feel like ive had this setup for ages !

It's not worth the money it would take to do the upgrade. What resolution do you play games at?

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

At the moment 1080p , the 1070 isnt powerful enough for maxed out gaming at 4k :(

Not even the GTX 1080 ti is powerful enough to max out most games at 4K. I still have to tweak settings like AA for example. At 4K you don't need much anti-aliasing anyway though. Most of the time I can max out all other settings though. I've tested a GTX 1070. It's only good enough for 4K 30fps in a lot of newer titles.

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

wait a year or two and get a new rig with brand new gpu and cpu even then it's gonna be hard to get games on ultra settings with 4k resolution.

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Well, Thanks all for the answers ! I did not expect so much ! I've always ended up here on a random google search eveynow and then, but have found myself reading loads !

TLDR: I'm gonna hold out and keep the I7 3770/GTX 1070 for a lil longer.

#impatient.

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

just don't want to be disappointed when you get a new rig and don't see much difference and just waste of money otherwise it's always better to have the latest components :D

Solution

Ry2mkk

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Couldn't agree more.

Would be a rather annoying discovery....expensive too.