Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
My specs: For gaming only
i7-3770
GTX 1070 8GB AMP OC
8GB RAM
Seasonic 600w Bronze

Hello,

I have been putting off an upgrade for a very long time now. As you can see, I'm still using my old trusty i7-3770 which was even bought 2nd hand. This processor has served me well but I think its the best time to upgrade.

I planning to upgrade to a 3600x and adding another 8gb of RAM, since nowadays 16GB is mostly the min. Looking at websites (please correct me if I'm wrong) the increase will be around 20-30% in some aspects. I will be pairing this with my 1070 since I don't have the funds to upgrade my GPU yet. In addition, I will also get myself an M.2, an SSD and of course a new Mobo.
This upgrade will cost my somewhere north of $600. Im totally fine with spending but I just want to be sure there would be some change in performance. I'm not expecting significate change but at least enough to consider it an upgrade.

On the other hand, I was also thinking of just upgrading my RAM. This will only cost me $130. My concern however is my hardware is old; almost a relic even. My motherboard is one of the the most bottom tier ones and my ram is slow af. I am worried that one day my pc will just stop working. If one component breaks (proc,mobo,ram) it will again just require me to upgrade my whole system anyway.

I enjoy playing cities skylines and of course waiting on cyberpunk 2077. My main game is black desert online which needs a lot of fps almost like CS:GO. I will need a system that will give me the most FPS possible with my budget which is $700 flat. I can do away with the storage space for now. Im even thinking of getting a new PSU just for good measure.

Some minor concerns would be if my GPU is going to be a good pair for the 3600x and will I be required to do some overclocking? I prefer not to. But I'm assuming moving to Ryzen requires one to do so to make the most out of it.

PS. I am solely just interested in the AMD 4000 series; the current one ----not the new ones that are coming out. I don't believe those will be stable on launch so, prefer to stick with this current gen which has stable drivers.

Thank you!

Solution
i7-3770
GTX 1070 8GB AMP OC
8GB RAM
Seasonic 600w Bronze

Hello,

I have been putting off an upgrade for a very long time now. As you can see, I'm still using my old trusty i7-3770 which was even bought 2nd hand. This processor has served me well but I think its the best time to upgrade.

I planning to upgrade to a 3600x and adding another 8gb of RAM, since nowadays 16GB is mostly the min. Looking at websites (please correct me if I'm wrong) the increase will be around 20-30% in some aspects. I will be pairing this with my 1070 since I don't have the funds to upgrade my GPU yet. In addition, I will also get myself an M.2, an SSD and of course a new Mobo.
This upgrade will cost my somewhere north of $600...
i7-3770
GTX 1070 8GB AMP OC
8GB RAM
Seasonic 600w Bronze

Hello,

This upgrade will cost my somewhere north of $600. Im totally fine with spending but I just want to be sure there would be some change in performance. I'm not expecting significate change but at least enough to consider it an upgrade.

On the other hand, I was also thinking of just upgrading my RAM. This will only cost me $130. My concern however is my hardware is old; almost a relic even. My motherboard is one of the the most bottom tier ones and my ram is slow af. I am worried that one day my pc will just stop working. If one component breaks (proc,mobo,ram) it will again just require me to upgrade my whole system anyway.

I enjoy playing cities skylines and of course waiting on cyberpunk 2077. My main game is black desert online which needs a lot of fps almost like CS:GO. I will need a system that will give me the most FPS possible with my budget which is $700 flat. I can do away with the storage space for now. Im even thinking of getting a new PSU just for good measure.

Some minor concerns would be if my GPU is going to be a good pair for the 3600x and will I be required to do some overclocking? I prefer not to. But I'm assuming moving to Ryzen requires one to do so to make the most out of it.

PS. I am solely just interested in the AMD 4000 series; the current one ----not the new ones that are coming out. I don't believe those will be stable on launch so, prefer to stick with this current gen which has stable drivers.

Thank you!
  • 3600X is $50 more than 3600. Not worth it for small increase in speed.
  • B550 board for future upgrade to Zen 3. Excellent 12+2 DrMOS VRM.
  • Samsung m.2 NVME drive with plenty of storage.
  • Flare X memory optimized for Ryzen.
  • Phanteks PSU based on Seasonic Focus Plus Gold.
  • Assumes you can use your current chassis.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $700.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-05 08:53 EST-0500

Reactions: 3jackdaw
Solution
PS. I am solely just interested in the AMD 4000 series; the current one
-I assume you mean 3000 series.

Upgrading a system that uses 8 years old CPU doesn't make sense.. by adding RAM, only capacity changes and you still stuck at half of RAM speed compared to today average RAM speeds.
I assume you won't upgrade every 6 months, so get 3600X! -it's worth the price difference compared to non-X. Not only is a bit faster (every "a bit" counts), it's also more power efficient (easier to keep it cool).
I don't recommend buying B550/X570 motherboard -you gain nothing compared to B450/X470 boards (and you save at least $50). Decent B450/X470 board will support all new 5000 series CPU's (even 12 cores R9 5900X is rated at "only" 105W TDP) and as said, any decend board can handle that. Don't fall into "future proof" trap -5000 series is probably the last AM4 socket compatible CPU anyway.

Reactions: 3jackdaw

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
-I assume you mean 3000 series.

Upgrading a system that uses 8 years old CPU doesn't make sense.. by adding RAM, only capacity changes and you still stuck at half of RAM speed compared to today average RAM speeds.
I assume you won't upgrade every 6 months, so get 3600X! -it's worth the price difference compared to non-X. Not only is a bit faster (every "a bit" counts), it's also more power efficient (easier to keep it cool).
I don't recommend buying B550/X570 motherboard -you gain nothing compared to B450/X470 boards (and you save at least $50). Decent B450/X470 board will support all new 5000 series CPU's (even 12 cores R9 5900X is rated at "only" 105W TDP) and as said, any decend board can handle that. Don't fall into "future proof" trap -5000 series is probably the last AM4 socket compatible CPU anyway.

I thought the current one is 4000 series and the upcoming one is the 5000 series? anyway, yes I meant the current one the the 3xxx line up

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
  • 3600X is $50 more than 3600. Not worth it for small increase in speed.
  • B550 board for future upgrade to Zen 3. Excellent 12+2 DrMOS VRM.
  • Samsung m.2 NVME drive with plenty of storage.
  • Flare X memory optimized for Ryzen.
  • Phanteks PSU based on Seasonic Focus Plus Gold.
  • Assumes you can use your current chassis.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $700.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-05 08:53 EST-0500
Thank you! the prices in my country are roughly 10-15% more expensive but this is a good baseline

i7-3770
GTX 1070 8GB AMP OC
8GB RAM
Seasonic 600w Bronze

Hello,

Thank you!

B450 Motherboard $80
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 $200
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X $240 (ALTHOUGH YOU CAN GET A 3600X TODAY at Walmart for $199!)
16GB Memory 3200MHz is ~$80

You will no be able to reuse your old memory. It's DDR3. And I wouldn't recommend it any way even if it were DDR4. Matched pairs with the same timings is fairly important for stability.

CS:GO is very GPU soft, CPU heavy at 1080p. So your CPU will be your limiting factor on total frame rates.

A 3600 new processor will grant you a lot more in FPS. But that varies based on game. But you'll also gain frame time stability. This means less stuttering during games. So your 1% lows will be much better.

3600X is 100MHz faster and comes with a much better cooler. If you don't plan on buying a good after market cooler, and want to overclock a little, the 3600X would be the wiser choice for that extra $40. Ryzens as a whole give you the most bang for your buck.

Overclocks on most Ryzen's are MILD. There's not a lot of headroom on them. It's not like the Sandy Bridge days any more.