Question I7 3770k compatability

paniczer0

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
I have a i7 3770k and eventually I am going to upgrade. I'm wondering if the MSI mag 590 will support this cpu. If not is there one that will support both an i7 3770k or a i9 11900k?

No, it will not. CPUs are supported ONLY by the motherboards using compatible chipsets which will ONLY be from the same time-period as the CPU. For the most part, and this is a generalization but will mostly hold true, Intel CPUs usually get support for two generations of motherboard chipset before a new CPU architecture requires a new socket and different chipsets.

There is NOTHING newer than about a year after that CPU was originally released that will in any way work with that CPU and there is no motherboard you can buy that works with that CPU that will work with any CPU that has been released since about the same time as it was.

So the answer is no. You buy a motherboard specifically for the type of CPU you plan to put in it.

The 3770k is an LGA 1155 socket and requires the use of a motherboard with a B75, H55, H61, H67, H77, Z68, Z75 or Z77 chipset. An 11900K has an LGA 1200 socket and requires a motherboard with a B560, H470, H510, H570, Z490 or Z590 chipset. CPUs and motherboards never support each other, with the exception of a few years now of Ryzen CPUs and motherboards which themselves have some exceptions as well, when they are many years apart in release. Basically, if a CPU and motherboard and more than two years apart based on release date, it is very unlikely they are going to work together. Ryzen CPUs had support for a while longer than that but even with the new Ryzen CPUs, the prior motherboards will no longer work.

Make very sure that any motherboard you buy has a chipset and socket that is supported by the CPU model.

Using PC Partpicker is one resource that novice builders can use to mostly help them avoid using parts that don't work together.

www.pcpartpicker.com