i7-3770K compatibility and upgrade questions

amyboomerang

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I have a HP p7-1011, and I decided I wanted to upgrade some components to make my computer more functional for me. I did some research and had chosen the i7-3770K as a processor upgrade, since the socket type (LGA 1155) is the same and according to this website the chipset (Intel H61) is a supported chipset for the i7-3770K. When I put in the new processor yesterday, however, the computer would not boot.

I have attempted the BIOS update listed on the HP website three or four times in hopes that this would help, however the update does not seem to be successful because the BIOS date listed remains the BIOS that came with the system (a 2011 date) as opposed to the 2013 revision. Furthermore, it is difficult to tell if this is even the most updated BIOS for the system,since as far as I can tell, HP stopped posting updates for this system a few years ago.

So, two questions remain: 1) Is the processor simply not compatible? and 2) If it is, what do I need to do to get the BIOS to update and the processor to run?

Thanks.

Solution
You should contact HP Tech support to determine why you cannot update the BIOS. Don't mention your intention to upgrade the processor, present it to them purely as a need to upgrade the BIOS.

Try after that and see if the processor is supported.
You should contact HP Tech support to determine why you cannot update the BIOS. Don't mention your intention to upgrade the processor, present it to them purely as a need to upgrade the BIOS.

Try after that and see if the processor is supported.

Solution