Question i7-3770k got hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Hello, i am using ml240lrgb in combo with i7-3770k that was oc to 4.6ghz. Had that in about a year, everything was working fine, 35 idle, 80 gaming. Recently i was using speedfan to make my fans quieter. After i took bencmark, i saw that cpu went up to 100 degrees. Went back to speedfan, turned on fans to 80%, but cpu was still hot. I dont get it, fans are turned back on, but cpu temps wont go down. I am going to remount aio, and change thermal paste.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Everything you've said, so far, in this thread, is 100% wrong. Just because people, even a LOT of people, "do" something, does not mean that what they are doing is "right" or "recommended". I assure you that myself and Computronix have done more overclocking on more architectures for more years than 90% of those people you are reading about and in all probability, than you as well. FWIW, Computronix is also the AUTHOR of the Intel temperature guide, has spent several thousand hours working with, testing and compiling information about all of the various Intel Core-i architectures, as seen here:

If you have some results from some extensive testing you've done, in this kind of detail, that is indisputable emperical evidence which contradicts what is in the Intel data sheets and Comp's Intel temperature guide, I'm sure we would all be glad to see it. Until then, it's all just white noise.

@boriss911 , yes, 90°C is undesirable. Anything over 85°C, brings you to or at least CLOSER to, the point where you start experiencing electromigration/thermal degradation. Intel CPUs "can" run up to 100°C without any appreciable reduction in performance, but that does not mean that by DOING so, you are not also dramatically reducing the lifespan of the CPU. Electromigration is real, and there is ONLY ONE way to reduce it, and that is by keeping operations within the recommended "safe zone" which for Intel Core-I processors happens to be a maximum of 85°C with 80°C being MUCH preferred for long term use.

This is not an opinion. This is not conjecture. This is not something we simply read someplace on Reddit and decided to believe in. This is a PURE FACT. Nobody can make somebody else believe something that they haven't seen with their own eyes, if they are unwilling, but it does not CHANGE the fact.
Thanks. You guys are actually really good at this. But, i think everything might be much simpler. I took of my front panel, my pc was running some hours, but temps at heavy loads didnt pass mark of 60 degrees! So my case has poor air/flow causing bad radiator circulation.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Good catch. Troubleshooting on the Forums can be difficult. In many instances, the O.P. can't always think of enough information to provide so we can ask the right questions and avoid overlooking simple and obvious steps. Nevertheless, we're glad that you're getting to the actual source of the problem.

CT :sol:

Besides which, you specifically said earlier that the CPU and GPU were running "ice cold", which led me to believe that the problem wasn't a thermal issue so much as an overclocking issue. Had we known you were having thermal issues even at the stock configuration, which you would be if there is an airflow problem (Obviously, that would be WORSE while overclocking), we could have focused more on what was causing THAT instead of whether it was the configuration itself.

What is your case model anyhow?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wish I'd found this thread earlier.

1.33v for 4.6GHz isn't all that bad, there will be some degree of variation with those Ivy-Bridge cpu dependent on the batch. Some ran hotter with lower voltages, some ran cool with higher voltages, like my 3770k for instance at 4.9GHz ran 1.32v, at 4.6GHz it runs 1.232v, and is in the batch numbers that generally ran 5.0GHz under 1.4v. Other batches barely made it over 4.6GHz at 1.4v. My i5-3570k wouldn't run stable at anything greater than 4.3GHz, even bumping it to 1.5v and running every settings change possible in bios. Yet purred like a kitten at 1.108v @ 4.3GHz.

What gets me is that 70°C gaming. On a 280mm aio I'd only hit 70°C with Prime95 at 4.9GHz. Gaming has never been over 55°C, and my fans rarely ever get over @ 50% duty cycle. In a fractal R5 with the door closed, sitting inside a cubby in the desk. That case has pretty mediocre airflow at best.

Yours must be terrible if the gpu is doing nothing but heat up the inside of the case due to minimal airflow. You can check that using HWInfo (sensors only) and it'll show the motherboard temps, drive temps which is a good indication of the heat inside the case. Can't cool things below ambient temps. So check all the temps during gaming, if motherboard / drives are reaching 50's or up, that's airflow issues. If only the gpu/cpu are heating up, that hardware issues of some sort. Bad fan curves, pump blockages, torn diaphragm, low coolant level, air bubble etc.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Besides which, you specifically said earlier that the CPU and GPU were running "ice cold", which led me to believe that the problem wasn't a thermal issue so much as an overclocking issue. Had we known you were having thermal issues even at the stock configuration, which you would be if there is an airflow problem (Obviously, that would be WORSE while overclocking), we could have focused more on what was causing THAT instead of whether it was the configuration itself.

What is your case model anyhow?
CM Master Box lite 5

Get a different case. That case has HORRIBLE airflow. It doesn't even have ANY top fan locations, so you have one little rear exhaust fan and that's it. That is not sufficient for any high TDP or overclocked build. IMO, ANY system that is going to be used for overclocking NEEDS at least two, and preferably three, front intake fans, and it needs both the rear and top rear exhaust fan locations to not only BE there, but be in use as well.

Or, you could mod your case to accept a top-rear fan by popping a hole in the top case panel. There are plenty of tutorials online showing how to do this.