[SOLVED] I7 3770K Overclock suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my thread :D

I have a asus p8z68-v lx mobo with a I7 3770K running stock with liquid metal inside, used thermal grizzly kryonaut for the thermal compound have 22Gb DDR3 1333Mhz RX 570 8GB and I wanna Overclock if possible, so How can I do it? And which are the best settings for it? I wanted to get 4.4ghz if possible I saw people going as high as 4.6 also have an aftermarket cooler a cooler master hyper 212 Evo for cooling the Cpu so far my Cpu in stress tests barely reaches 60c

Thank you for your time :)

Solution
The Hyper 212 is a decent budget cooler choice. It is not going to be optimal for any significant OC.

Given the age of that CPU and motherboard, I am not sure I would push that machine beyond it's stock parameters and/or much unless you are prepared to replace it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Hyper 212 is a decent budget cooler choice. It is not going to be optimal for any significant OC.

Given the age of that CPU and motherboard, I am not sure I would push that machine beyond it's stock parameters and/or much unless you are prepared to replace it.

Reactions: Brincanareia
Solution

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020

But I saw someone pushing one at 4.6Ghz but not in this mobo I think and they where using a Corsair h100 I think

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
But I saw someone pushing one at 4.6Ghz but not in this mobo I think and they where using a Corsair h100 I think

I am not sure what they are capable of, certainly older generation Intel have been known to OC well....but often when they are new, not approaching 10yo. I am not sure that I see where the improvement would be worth taxing the older components.
It really comes down to willingness and budget.

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020
After some searching people did the It with my cooler and without using the liquid metal and the only thing that really did was use a good thermal paste and a good mobo but some of them didn't say which mobos where using, I think with the liquid metal inside, the Thermal Grizzly and my cooler is a good combo I have stress tested my PC for hours and he barely goes above 60c, but ofc I'm scared 😨

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
After some searching people did the It with my cooler and without using the liquid metal and the only thing that really did was use a good thermal paste and a good mobo but some of them didn't say which mobos where using, I think with the liquid metal inside, the Thermal Grizzly and my cooler is a good combo I have stress tested my PC for hours and he barely goes above 60c, but ofc I'm scared 😨
Did they also indicate room temperature, fans inside the case, fan profile/temp curve used?

I understand the "need" to squeeze more juice out of your old hardware, but this is a case of potentially too much risk for too little reward.

Brincanareia

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Did they also indicate room temperature, fans inside the case, fan profile/temp curve used?

I understand the "need" to squeeze more juice out of your old hardware, but this is a case of potentially too much risk for too little reward.

My house runs pretty cool and I can set it to high profile and they wont make much noise

USAFRet

Titan
I saw people going as high as 4.6
Their CPU is not your CPU.
Their system is not your system.
Their environment is not your environment.

You can't aim for a specific number.
At best, you can aim for the best that your system can do.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I had a 3770k , running at 4.3 with 1,14 Volt.

Once I tried 4.6, but needed 1,24 Volt and got very hot. Nothing for daily work.

My CPU ( as every CPU is different) seems to have a kind of break even-point, where voltage und temperature is not longer quasi-linear with frequency.

For my CPU it was 4.3 Ghz.

My son's PC (3770k, too) reached only 4.0 Ghz with 1.14 Volt. when trying higher, it became hot and unstable.

You see, every CPU is different. You may be lucky or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.