I7 3770k Overclock

tekki88

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
How are all of you today? Well I know this is an older cpu and there are prolly a good bit of information out there about it. But I recently obtained an un-opened 3770k from ebay for a great deal and ended up upgrading from an i5. But the first thing I did was run it for a while with default settings then after a few days started overclocking it. Well it seems I may have hit the silicon lottery on this older gen chip. Atm with little testing I have been able to hit 4.8 with 1.2 voltage. Which from what I have seen is pretty darn good. Have ran many turns of intel burn test and about 6 hours of prime95 with no issues. Seems my temps are around mid to high 70's breaking 80 on one core. (using a hyper 212 evo with plans of water soon). It almost seems to good to be true. But I guess my question is does cpu's have a break in period at first use that they run better before settling in after this period and require more voltage and less clocks? Thanks for checking out my question everyone.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
I've never heard of a "break-in period" in all my time in the hardware community. I think you really did just hit the silicon lottery, so that's pretty cool. That thing will probably get some awesome performance on water.

tekki88

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Yea I have never heard of any type of break in period either. But I currently have a delid tool, some conductonaut, and kryonaut on the way with plans and an open loop in near future.