I7 3770k stock 3.5 , stock volts, 37.5-38c idle?

froobs

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I believe something isnt right here i have a h100i and it idles at this? when i open icore temp and play tera rpg, tempes geting into 40-50s almost 60c, i did not use pre applied thermal i applied a tad bit of artic silver 5. just like a small grain of rice, when i did intel burn test one core hit 86c max

I have googled this and alot of ppl seem to have better temps, anything i do wrong?

room ambient temp 24c

Solution
"One core" is the highlight here. Unfortunately you probably have the problem I also experience. With Ivy Bridge, Intel moved to a cheaper TIM under the IHS to save money. Some of the chips, like mine and probably yours, have a bad TIM application which makes the temps uneven and is probably the reason one of your cores is getting so hot. You have a few options:

1. Get a new chip and pray it doesn't have the same problem.
2. Under volt and down clock the chip, also find a program that manages single thread performance (so that it spreads load out across several cores) and can improve temps up to 5c or so.
3. De-lid the CPU, get CoolLabratory Liquid Pro and apply to die and IHS, then re-lid, reinstall CPU cooler. This method is the most...

robax91

Distinguished
"One core" is the highlight here. Unfortunately you probably have the problem I also experience. With Ivy Bridge, Intel moved to a cheaper TIM under the IHS to save money. Some of the chips, like mine and probably yours, have a bad TIM application which makes the temps uneven and is probably the reason one of your cores is getting so hot. You have a few options:

1. Get a new chip and pray it doesn't have the same problem.
2. Under volt and down clock the chip, also find a program that manages single thread performance (so that it spreads load out across several cores) and can improve temps up to 5c or so.
3. De-lid the CPU, get CoolLabratory Liquid Pro and apply to die and IHS, then re-lid, reinstall CPU cooler. This method is the most effective but also takes technical know-how and delicate care. There are guides out there how to do this and it has results up to a 20c improvement.

Or maybe you didn't use enough Arctic 5 on your primary installation. A rice sized grain is not enough for a water cooling block. Use the line method and make a thin line that covers 60% of the height of the CPU.

500x1000px-LL-6486e147_DSC07009.jpeg

Solution

cuecuemore

Distinguished
High 50s aren't bad at all for your CPU under gaming load with your setup.

What do you mean by stock volts? Do you mean auto in the BIOS? Or locked to the VID? Either way you're going to be running ~100mV too high, maybe 150 with a good chip.

Download CPU-Z. Check what your voltage reads while running Prime95/IBT. Drop it 50mV in the BIOS and recheck voltage in OS while running a 10 minute Prime blend. If you pass the test, lower it 10mV and run a blend until you can't pass 10 min.

If you do that you'll be able to get it to where it barely hits 50C in Tera, or maybe even keep it in the 40s.

froobs

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/772RpSg.png
this is wat i have during game open
correct me if i am wrong but, does the bios read temps correctly? because with a liquid 40c and 49c doesnt make snese sometiems 45.
i also pushed it to 4.4 ghz to see if temps get higher

The temps using software seem lwoer, bios shows 40, 46, 49c idle