I7 3770k stock heatsink (40C idle 95C Maxed) temperature concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMerkin

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hey All,

First off, I've read a few other threads on this topic but it's not clear to me what the appropriate solution is or indeed if I even have a problem, hence this post.

I've just built an i7 3770K based system, components are as follows:

- i7 3770K
- Stock Heatsink
- Arctic Silver Ceramique (1 year old stored in fridge) applied using vertical line method per their instructions
- ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
- Lian Li Tower Case with side open
- 120mm Thermaltake ISGC Fan 12 case fans one at back and one in front in push pull config
- All bios settings are auto config/stock, I've done no OCing.

I'm not a complete n00b having built a good number of PCs although I don't consider myself hardcore and I'm not totally up to date on the latest. I did carefully follow all the instructions regarding cleaning the OEM thermal paste off the heat sink base and then applying the thermal paste. I made sure the heat sink is secured to the motherboard, there is very little movement, each mounting clip appears to be correctly installed.

RealTemp Reports the Following (Room temp roughly 76 F):

Idle: 35-42C (although it jumps a few degrees between 35 - 42 constantly with slightly differences in min/max across the cores)
Max: 94-96C when running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test set to Maximum, 1 Pass.

I know the synthetic stress tests generate an artificially high load but regardless this seems high to me especially when others claim something closer to 60C under load, although it's difficult to know if they are running a stock heat sink and are OC, are they running synthetic stress tests or just playing Diablo etc.

The OP of this thread actually returned his CPU and found the second one hit similar temps to mine but took longer to reach those temps (5 minutes or so):

What temperature should I be getting on I7 3770k with stock heatsink?

He's second CPU seems roughly similar to mine in it's heat characteristics. Would like to see a few more people reporting the same temps though.

So some questions:

1. So what is an OK temperature on a stock heat sink, particularly under load?
2. Should I try re-seating the heat sink, reapplying thermal paste etc?2
3. Should I return the CPU/Heat Sink?

If these temps are okay, then I will just pick up a better heat sink/fan or maybe go water cooling.

Thanks.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm just about to do a new i7 Ivy Bridge build so I've been paying close attention to this heat issue.

The simple solution may be to replace the Intel stock HSF with the CoolerMaster 212+ or Evo and see if that helps. Intel does say that these Ivy chips are capable of handling those temps up to 105c I believe but, that's still just way too hot.

What case do you have and how's the air flow inside it?

Here's a thread that might be helpful:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335271-28-3770-heat-tests-room-temps

The plastic frame and pins from Intel's stock HSF deform over time and lose their clamping force. Everyone I know who has ever used one of Intel's push-pin HSFs has run into this problem (core temperatures shooting up and not coming back down for very long after changing the thermal paste and re-seating the stock HSF) around three years after their initial build.

Only fix in those cases is to upgrade to aftermarket cooling. The 212 + or EVO is an easy choice to make if it fits on your motherboard and in your case.
The i3/5/7 HSF is practically the same design as the Core2 HSF except for the addition of a copper core in the heatsink.

Most coolers with backplates use springs or spring-steel clips which do not suffer from thermal deformation unless you either over-bend them or heat them up to their shape-setting temperature which is typically in excess of 400C. Neither of which is likely to happen unless there is something even worse to worry about as the root cause.
The intel stock HSF have always been terrible. I just don't understand why they won't change their locking design to something more reliable.

InsaneMerkin

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Appreciate the reply. I'm feeling better about keeping the CPU, although I would love to see a few people respond with reports of similar temps from a stock clock and heat sink just so I know mine isn't defective.

My case is a Aluminum Lian Li case that's about 7 years old now, hard to believe actually, but I've seen no reason to replace it. I forget the model name/number now, it's the design with the power supply and hard drive racks at the base of the box in a separate compartment. The entire case is perforated with holes plus I have the side open during the tests I mentioned, I can't imagine airflow is an issue.

The CoolerMaster is similar to a ThermalTake cooler I've had on my old PC for a few years now. Great coolers, although I've been worried it will be a tight squeeze on this ASUS Sabertooth board. I've seen some decent water coolers around for $100 or so and was thinking of picking one of those up but I'm short on time right now and just wanted a PC up and running.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the CPU and I'll order a better cooler for it shortly. In the meantime I'm not worried about the temps since nothing I do will push it as hard as the stress tests like Prime95.

If anyone has more information on the 3770k running stock heat sink and not over clocked please post your temps.

InvalidError

Titan
While the plastic HSF components deform over time, the process takes 2-4 years before becoming problematic and Ivy Bridge has been out for only two months so there is no reason for this to be the problem here.

The stock HSF should be good enough to keep IB well under 80C if applied properly. If you are hitting 95C, you might have improperly set one or more of the pins, causing the heatsink to sit unevenly even if things look otherwise fine.

InsaneMerkin

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

hmmmm... I checked the pins and the the whole heatsink for movement and it seemed fine, but I will try resetting the pins just in case.

I suppose if that doesn't work, I will try cleaning and then reapplying the thermal paste and see if that resolves it.

I'm probably going to order a new cooler for it, but don't want to apply a band aid solution to what might be a bad CPU.

InvalidError

Titan

Push opposite corners down simultaneously to make sure the HSF lies flat on the heat-spreader with one hand while you use your other hand to push the pin assemblies down through the motherboard before actually pushing the pins themselves, repeat with the other two corners.

Make sure the pins are in the correct 'locking' position (turned to their clockwise limit) before pushing. You should hear them 'click' when you push them in.

Johni8707

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Hello I've just built a PC with almost the same specs as you! I'm relieved to here that we have the same high temps right now idle its going from 38-41C however it jumps to 70C quickly i haven't hit 90C but i haven't stressed tested it, i reapplied thermal paste twice now and i made sure to set the cpu stock fan right, I just ordered a CoolerMaster after market fan, seeing as its the only way to keep the temps down, just here to show that your not alone! even though this is an old post. good luck and thank you for your info everyone! was really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.