i7-3920XM seems to be running hot

bschnell

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello fellow hardware enthusiasts!

I recently upgraded a Lenovo T430 laptop replacing the i5-3320M CPU with a i7-3920XM and upgrading the internal RAM to 16GB from 4GB. I have been doing some gaming on the laptop and I've gotten some great performance but my CPU temps seem high.

The temps I'm getting in idle are in the 40*C range but I'll notice if I check my HWMonitor software after a few hours of gaming that I have hit max temps of 90+*C. I think that's only at peak and after monitoring HWMonitor while gaming I think I'm probably averaging 75-85*C for the most part.

I did some reading that the max Tjunction temp listed for the i7-3920XM is 105*C and wanted to know - am I stressing this chip out too much? Are there recommendations anyone could make on how to help lower the temps but keep some of the performance of the i7?

Thanks in advance for the help!

bschnell

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

For sure - I definitely understand that. And because of it being a laptop there's just no way to replace the cooler. I am using good paste and everything's clean. I just wanted to make sure I'm not overworking the chip to where it's going to burn out on me.