[SOLVED] i7 4700mq overheating with stress test

Aug 21, 2019
i have toshiba s70-a-11e laptop. When completely idle it sits at about 50C . But i start stress test temperature instantly reaching 55C to 99C When i enable turbo boost. Then i stop stress test to not burn laptop . if i disable turbo boost temparature is around 70C - 90C. I have cleaned laptop fan and repaste thermal paste 3 times. I couldn't figure out why is so hot. I am using opolar vacum cooler.

What do you think the problem may be caused by, or is it normal?

Toshiba s70-a-11e:
nvidia gt740m
16gb ram
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB (3.4GHz turbo boost)

Solution
Stress testing can do that, especially on a laptop. It is VERY unlikely that any normal application will get a CPU that hot anyway. Throttling will kick in around 100 C. Unless there is an issue you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry about temps during a stress test.
What stress test are you running. That's all important. I've an I7 3610 which is the predecessor to yours (more or less). My temps benching with CPU will hit about 80c with no throttling.

If i were to use Prime95 they'd go up to 90c and there is some throttling then.

Your idle temps seem about right, and your load temps are pretty much where I'd expect them for a laptop with 4c/4t CPU.

Why are you trying to stress test your laptop?

Reactions: canali1
Aug 21, 2019
What stress test are you running. That's all important. I've an I7 3610 which is the predecessor to yours (more or less). My temps benching with CPU will hit about 80c with no throttling.

If i were to use Prime95 they'd go up to 90c and there is some throttling then.

Your idle temps seem about right, and your load temps are pretty much where I'd expect them for a laptop with 4c/4t CPU.

Why are you trying to stress test your laptop?
I tried with benchmark stress test on windows 10 Pro.
And i tried stress command on ubuntu (stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 4 --vm-bytes 1024M --timeout 10s)

both same result

If you were running Prime i'd expect the temps to be high. If you are running Cinebench or something like that, which is a benchmark and only gets your CPU warmed up for a couple of minutes, then not so high. I'm on my laptop now. What bench are running, and Ill see if it replicates on mine (not onubuntu - don't have it)

Aug 21, 2019
If you were running Prime i'd expect the temps to be high. If you are running Cinebench or something like that, which is a benchmark and only gets your CPU warmed up for a couple of minutes, then not so high. I'm on my laptop now. What bench are running, and Ill see if it replicates on mine (not onubuntu - don't have it)
test without boost ----> https://pasteboard.co/ItKVsej.png
test with boost ---->https://pasteboard.co/ItKVINa.png

do you think this is normal

Ah, your using Aida64. Yes, I can run it on mine and report back TBH your temps seem pretty okay. Your temps will naturally go high when stressing. Specially in a laptop. They have a very specific thermal envelope. They have to vent heat like crazy. When mine is running a game like BF3 which is all my crappy Intel HD graphics can handle, the heat really starts to come out of the vents As long as you don't experience any CPU throttling, then you will be okay.

The obvious downside, is that when it's that hot the fans are really noisy. Maybe look into a cooling pad if your room is a hot environment.

Stress testing can do that, especially on a laptop. It is VERY unlikely that any normal application will get a CPU that hot anyway. Throttling will kick in around 100 C. Unless there is an issue you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry about temps during a stress test.

Solution