i7 4702MQ CPU @ 800 MHz only?

DeepG

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hi,

I have bought Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 (model: 59-398016, Part no. - 20287) laptop about 3 weeks back. I noticed, through hardware diagnostic software that my CPU runs at 800 MHz only while it is designated to run at 2.2 GHz without overclocking. I understand that CPU speed depends also on the demand that applications make of it and so it may not be getting worked up with my current set of apps (they are basic - Chrome, Office, Bittorrent, Outlook).. There is also no lag as far as response time is concerned! However, I just noticed that my 8 GB RAM (DDR3SD RAM) is clocked at 800 MHz only!!! Wondering if that's a limiting factor for normal working! If I use data and processor intensive applications like Auto CAD, Matlab, etc. would my laptop slowdown a bit?

DeepG

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Also, just a side question! I have kept the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GT 740M) disabled and am using solely the 600 MHz integrated graphics from Intel (Intel HD graphics 4600).. Would that be contributing to CPU heating? That is to say, if I turned on the GeForce card, will it cool down my CPU a bit? (Currently its in the 45-49 degree celsius range with little running on it - bittorrent, chrome, bitdefender) ..

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

I think most laptops will use a combination of both to conserve power when two GPUs are exposed to the system. Will doing so cool your CPU down? If it did, it would be minimal. Unless you're gaming with integrated graphics, I doubt you'll see any change in temperatures. In any case what temperature delta you would see on the CPU would be replaced, and possibly surpassed, by the discrete card running.

That said your temperatures are just fine the way they are. ~70's is a little warm but still not terrible.

TRENDING THREADS