i7 4720HQ overheating

Krunoslav

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hi,
so i have a problem with my 1 year old laptop (Asus K550JX).
The specs are:
i7 4720HQ
8 GB of RAM
GTX 950M 2 GB
1 TB HDD

The problem is that my CPU overheats like crazy. It idles around 60-70°C and as soon as I run any program it spikes to 98°C and then fals to like 85°C, any game or something and it throttles to like 700MHz. I tried everything possible:
I run Windows and Ubuntu and the problem exsists in both of them
I lowered the Max CPU power in the Power options to like 60% still the same as in 100%
I did clean it from the outside as possible(still under warranty, but the service takes like 3 weeks where I live and I'm a student so I can't be 3 weeks without my laptop)
I was thinking of just fu*k it and just replace the thermal paste but it is blowing hot air out so I assume that is conducting heat,
Googled everything on this CPU, the Voltages are in range, nothing wrong besides the high temp.
I dont think adding a cooler would do much since the laptop is elevated from the desk(I don't use it on my bed or something like that) so it does have easy access to air.
I see other people with the same spec laptop having a good gaming experience but my just heats up and slows down.
So any ideas would be apreciated.
Thanks

Solution
Pretty much the only way for heat to get out, so it will be warm. Re-doing the thermal compound and pads is probably the best method to get better cooling out of a laptop. At the factory I guarantee they will have over-applied the paste.

Getting yourself some quality thermal pads can make a huge difference as well. (Assuming any are used for the big silicon)

You say the system is a year old, but it has to be older, so it may have been sitting on a shelf for a while. The i7-4720HQ CPU came out over two years ago. Which means it was at the assembly factory / warehousing probably even earlier than that.

Krunoslav

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

But I do feel a nice stream of air on the exit path, will try tho when I get time.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much the only way for heat to get out, so it will be warm. Re-doing the thermal compound and pads is probably the best method to get better cooling out of a laptop. At the factory I guarantee they will have over-applied the paste.

Getting yourself some quality thermal pads can make a huge difference as well. (Assuming any are used for the big silicon)

You say the system is a year old, but it has to be older, so it may have been sitting on a shelf for a while. The i7-4720HQ CPU came out over two years ago. Which means it was at the assembly factory / warehousing probably even earlier than that.

Solution

Krunoslav

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

I see your point. I did buy it a year ago, never came to my mind that it was propably sitting in a warehouse for a year or more. Will try replacing the thermal paste and let ya all know, I was hoping to avoid doing it but hell I need my laptop. Thanks

JohnnyBoy05

Reputable
May 8, 2015
I have the same CPU in my laptop, except the gtx 960. With the same issue. My laptop would get hot to the touch by the vent. It seem like the cooling pads had zero effect on helping with the heat. Then I ran across this little jewel that completely solved my issue, it's called OPOLAR laptop fan cooler. Look it up and give it a try.

Krunoslav

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Will give it a try. Thanks

Krunoslav

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
In case anyone has the same problem, the problem was the thermal paste. I replaced the paste with fresh Arctic Cooling MX-4 and now it idles about 45-50°C and max temps are 80°C.

Adiadiere

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Is this with Turbo boost still enabled? I sent my MSI Ghost Pro 4K with the 4720HQ to RMA and it didn't change temps, so i can only assume it needs doing properly?

Mine is currently hitting thermal throttle if I have Turbo boost enable and it wont get any where near the 3.6GHz that turbo boost can offer it.

JohnnyBoy05

Reputable
May 8, 2015

did you ever try it out?

BelebatUbi

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017

Whats the best paste for this cpu?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends how much you want to spend. Arctic MX-4 is a good all around paste, suitable for many types of coolers, and is relatively cheap. Higher end would be something like Grizzly Hydronaut.

Rules of thumb:
1) Machined surface: moderate paste
2) Polished/Plated surface: small amount of thin paste (more fluid, low viscosity)
3) Direct contact heat pipes: larger amounts of a thicker paste to fill the gaps between the pipes

TRENDING THREADS