Question i7 4770 clocking down to 800Mhz

joaovittorsc53

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
Hey, guys. I'm new here.

I have an i7 4770 and an ASUS H81M-A board. I live in Brazil. Please don't tell me to just buy new stuff.
I wanted to squeeze every single bit of performance possible out of my rig as I won't be able to upgrade so soon, so I looked into ways of doing it. I read about the old Haswell All-Core Turbo lock trick, and did it successfully. Dowgraded my BIOS and my MicroCode using AFUDOS and UBUTool. Everything shows up correctly, but I'm having a big problem.
When gaming, my CPU will almost randomly drop from the "overclocked" 3.9Ghz to the base 3.4Ghz, and I'll get stutter in whatever game I'm trying to play.
I thought to myself "ok, maybe it's running too hot", but It's pretty hot here and I'm using an aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 412R) and the temps don't usually go past 75-80º, so I figured it might be power throttling. I ventured into my BIOS and changed power settings, went back into Windows and it seemed to be working. Static 3.9Ghz. I then tried playing some games, and to my surprise, the clocks now drop all the way down to 800Mhz.
I'm clueless. Can someone help?

Usually CPUs only down clock to protect themselves. I'm not familiar with your mod but it sounds like you are effectively locking all the cores at turbo speed. Which may reduce the lifespan of your CPU. I don't think it's necessary either. If you have the cooling performance then the CPU will happily sit at it's boost clock all day.

The hyper 412 is a bit misleading, it's actually smaller than the hyper212 not my much but when you are talking surface area you are actually losing 1mm^2 for every 1mm decrease in a given dimension. By running boosted all the time you might be saturating your cooler such that when there is a load, it's really hard for the cooler to actually dissipate the extra heat.

joaovittorsc53

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
Usually CPUs only down clock to protect themselves. I'm not familiar with your mod but it sounds like you are effectively locking all the cores at turbo speed. Which may reduce the lifespan of your CPU. I don't think it's necessary either. If you have the cooling performance then the CPU will happily sit at it's boost clock all day.

The hyper 412 is a bit misleading, it's actually smaller than the hyper212 not my much but when you are talking surface area you are actually losing 1mm^2 for every 1mm decrease in a given dimension. By running boosted all the time you might be saturating your cooler such that when there is a load, it's really hard for the cooler to actually dissipate the extra heat.
The thing is the 4-core turbo boost is 3.7Ghz. I mess a lot with emulators, and clock speeds are really important, so those 200Mhz do make a difference in FPS and can push some games from unplayable to playable.

One thing I would do if you want to eek out all the performance you can, it floor all the fans in your system. Sure it will make some noise, but the amount of additional cooling you can get will be a lot. I run 95w processors on 65w heatsinks in 80F rooms and have no problems when ordinarily this should never work. I think if you get enough cooling to your cpu, your initial turbo lock should hold.

joaovittorsc53

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
One thing I would do if you want to eek out all the performance you can, it floor all the fans in your system. Sure it will make some noise, but the amount of additional cooling you can get will be a lot. I run 95w processors on 65w heatsinks in 80F rooms and have no problems when ordinarily this should never work. I think if you get enough cooling to your cpu, your initial turbo lock should hold.
My case has one back-mounted fan and one side mounted. THose are all the slots it has. No front intake, bottom or top.

Dropping to as low as 800-1200 MHz when loafing at the desktop lowers power consumption, and, is a good thing. If you look at HWMonitor, and observe clock speeds as assorted applications are launched/opened, the clock speed jump back up instantly under any sort of load.... (all perfectly normal in Balanced Power plan within Windows

My own 7700K can jump from 800 to 4700 MHz on one or more cores several times per second when doing assorted desktop tasks, but , holds/maintains all-cores at max (a Z-series chipset feature with a K-series CPU when MCE is enabled) when under an all core CPU load....

WIth an H series chipset, the advertised peak turbo will likely only be seen on a single core intermittently, with all core loadings settling on a few hundred less MHz....all normal, to stay within TDP limits..

Last edited:

joaovittorsc53

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018
Dropping to as low as 800-1200 MHz when loafing at the desktop lowers power consumption, and, is a good thing. If you look at HWMonitor, and observe clock speeds as assorted applications are launched/opened, the clock speed jump back up instantly under any sort of load.... (all perfectly normal in Balanced Power plan within Windows

My own 7700K can jump from 800 to 4700 MHz on one or more cores several times per second when doing assorted desktop tasks, but , holds/maintains all-cores at max (a Z-series chipset feature with a K-series CPU when MCE is enabled) when under an all core CPU load....

WIth an H series chipset, the advertised peak turbo will likely only be seen on a single core intermittently, with all core loadings settling on a few hundred less MHz....all normal, to stay within TDP limits..
It is doing it under load. That's the real problem for me.

joaovittorsc53

Prominent
Oct 30, 2018

I can't really explain it. It's like it's throttlingm but it's not even at 100% usage or close to the thermal limits.