gear999

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Hey all, I haven't been here for a while.

I recently purchased my friend's old i7 4770 (non-K) off of him to pop in my PC just as a small update. I installed it tonight with the stock cooler (don't have any other ones) and I just hit 99c while playing Apex Legends for a duration of 5 minutes. It reaches 95c on BF4 and doesn't stop rising steadily. I've reseated the cooler 3 times and applied new paste each time, as well as using the stock cooler I had from my i5 to see if that would make a difference. They all yield the same result of steadily approaching the Tj max temp while gaming. The idle temps seem to be completely fine though.

I have no idea what the issue could be. I've ensured the cooler was properly seated each time I've installed it. Now, the thermal paste I'm using is quite crappy I'll admit, it's some really small tube of white stuff my buddy had lying around, and applying it in small amounts is truely a pain, but I think I did at least an okay job at it if the results were consistent.

I've told my friend about these issues and he said the CPU never exceeded 86c when he was using it. He was also on the stock cooler.
Next thing I'm going to try is to mess with my fan settings in the BIOS to see if that helps any.

Any other help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get a new CPU cooler. Intel's stock coolers are absolute junk, some of the parts are actually made of cardboard. Those same coolers are the same cooler Intel uses on their cheapest end parts. It has no business being on a core i7.

I highly recommend you grab something like a CRYORIG H7 for $30. That'll solve your temperature issues.

The thermal paste could be your problem aswell, fortunately coolers like the H7 come with good thermal paste.

TRENDING THREADS