I7-4770K 5ghz possible?

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
My specs-

CPU: Intel 4th Gen Haswell I7-4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: Kingston HyperX blu 32GB (8GB*4)
Storage: Plextor M5 Pro-512G / Western Digital 1TB
VGA: EVGA GTX 780 (3G/DDR5/Boost:1020Hz)

now i am planning to overclock her to 5ghz with watercooling systems on it. however, i am wondering if i am goin to buy EK's watercooling blocks which of those will fit my things, and which of my things should be needed for watercooling? also i came up with a thought of adding liquid nitrogen in water cooling system. i know its a stupid question cause if i cant keep it in liquid form it will cause explosion, but will there be a possible chance to work if i could keep it in liquid form?

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

I have seen people tuned it up to 5ghz before. The highest and save range is around 4.6~4.8ghz, also my rams are running 1.5.

5ghz is possible as long as you have the cooling that can handle the heat!

However if you think standard radiator water cooling will get you to 5ghz rock solid 24/7 stable, think again!

Liquid nitrogen in a pot may get you some bragging rights for a CPU-Z validation, but not a 24/7 dependable and 100% stable overclock to 5ghz.

Using liquid nitrogen to chill water, there's a thought, let us know how that works out for you!

One of the best CPU water blocks is the XSPC Raystorm.

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it!

Knowledge however has everything to do with it!

Knowledge in knowing what overclocking hardware to buy!

Knowledge in how to cool the intended overclock!

And Knowledge of how to achieve the overclock!

Luck only counts in Horseshoes and Hand-grenades! :)

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

i found this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky, its really bad as how you put up a guide like it thnx. it really helps a lot, but i still unsure of which of the blocks from EK will fit my cup,motherboard,memory and VGA. is there anyway to see if it fits?

ihog

Distinguished

Difference between high-end blocks isn't huge =/= difference between all water blocks isn't huge

I7-4770K 5ghz possible?

What possibly would make you think from the OPs thread title of the possibility of a 5ghz 4770K overclock that this is about water cooling asthetics?

@ Alvin Lu:

If you really want to reach 5ghz 24/7 stable with your 4770K, here's one cooling solution that will get you there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282844-29-peltier-water-cooling

Who said anything about an AIO grade block?

So let me get this straight, you are a moderator, and according to your personal posted information, you are 15 years old?

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

omg man thnx. you know i was just thinking about if i have some devices that i could integrate from the fridge to my laptop cooling XD

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
i found this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-read-first-..., its really bad as how you put up a guide like it thnx. it really helps a lot

First, that's the old sticky, but has the link to the v2.0 sticky. Please use the 2.0 version.

Second- 'its really bad as how you put up a guide like it thnx. it really helps a lot' I'm not sure if you find it beneficial or if this is a knock on the sticky. If the latter- please offer suggestions for improvement.

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

oh************ my typo == i was saying badass instead of bad == fml sry man. what i was saying is that it is a really great over explanation for me as a noobie for this. i am really sry for the stupid typo ><

Went ahead and cleaned up the language for you...try and pick out some better wording here on out.
- rubix_1011

Typos are very common it happens to all of us, I personally would like to see you leave out the expressive foul language as an intro to your explanation in the future if you don't mind. :)

Keep in mind the user you are addressing rubix_1011, is a moderator, and if I might say one of the best we have here, so you do not want your expressive explanation to force a moderators corrective action on you for your foul language used. :)

Alvin Lu

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

ops >< sry won't that again and really thank you for the things you tell me. learned a lot

Raganark-1395617

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I got a 4770k furthest I've gotten it with 1.22v is 4.555GHz. Hottest it gets is 60 degrees C at full load. I haven't tried turning up the voltage further yet and seeing if I can hit 4.8 or even 5GHz. How much higher would you think I could turn up the voltage and keeping it under 80 degrees C?