i7 4770k high temps

TheLostCauze

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Hello everyone,

I recently got a new system which includes an i7 4770k and a Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A. I set it up, ran Aida 64 and the temps peaked at 74-78C in a room with around 25C. I google'd the results and found out these are way higher that it should be with this cooler. In idle, it stays between 23 and 30C. I don't do OC, i keep everything standard. I asked on another forum and the replys were to change the CPU. I doubt the warranty covers that, since the CPU works, i didn't look into it. First, i wanna try more simple solutions. The thermal paste i used was the MX-2. Do you guys think the paste that comes with the cooler is better? If not, you have other sugestions? Maybe the MX-4? I'm a total noob when it comes to hardware, so keep it somewhat simple, not "delid the CPU" I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Sorry for my typos, english is not my native language.

Could you give some links to where that cooler performed so well on an i7 4770k? From the numbers you gave and that seems about what temps you should be getting on Aida 64... Might be slightly high @stock but eh... anyway could you provide a link i'd like to see it, couldn't find anything myself.

Eggz

Distinguished
Well written for not speaking native English!

Your temperatures aren't bad. I think the CPU will be safe, so don't worry about that. You are near the Tcase temperature, and the TJmax is 105. So 78 won't kill it.

If you want to improve the temperatures, you can try the Arctic Silver 5 paste. It's only $8 and is really good.

You can also take it apart and reinstall the cooler really carefully to make sure everything is lined up the right way. Cooling a CPU comes down to contact. Your cooler has to be as perfectly flat against the CPU chip as possible. Air bubbles, dust, gaps, whatever mean less CPU chip touches the cooler, and that prevents the cooler from absorbing heat off the chip.

You might have also used too much thermal paste. If it's too thick, same thing: less cooler contact with the CPU chip. Same problems. You just want to put a pea-sized drop in the middle of the CPU chip. It'll naturally spread without air bubbles when you press the cooler against it. Remember that the only point of the paste is so that the microscopic scratches in the CPU chip's and cooler's surface will be filled up.

In theory you want metal touching metal 100%, but that's impossible. There's no such thing as perfectly smooth metal. In comes the paste. By filling in the little tiny scratches, it removes the air from the CPU-cooler contact, and heat transfers better.

Main point = no air, so use just enough paste to remove it, but not too much paste because that's just as bad as air.

The way I described for putting on thermal paste is called the "pea meathod." That's what TheLostCauze was getting at with his post.

"Pee" is urine . . . FYI :lol:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Themal compound isn't likely the problem. Talking about a difference of a few degrees C between top end paste and what OEMs use.

Aida64 pushes the chip to the limit and some of the Haswell samples just run hot. I have a not so good one that pushes breaks past 80C at 4.3Ghz, whereas some chips will do 4.6Ghz at 70C. Gaming, mostly map loads, will spike my chip up to 84C for a split second.

i7-4770k vcore 1.25 with H80i cooler.

TheLostCauze

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
@ Eggz, thanks, i appreciate the reply :D Yeah, i wasn't actualy worried but i've been told that the full load temps are around 10C higher than they should, if i'm not OC'ing, the idle ones are good. I'll try reinstalling the cooler and try a different paste. Thanks again!

@ Derza Sorry, i only found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k19pjaAxfuM couldn't find the review i read the first time. I've also been told by other people that the full load temps are higher, i can't link you because it wasn't on a forum.

TheLostCauze

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

I ran Intel Burn Test and the temps went at 96-97C, but i heard these kind of tests push the core like more than 100%. Not sure if it's true. In games, i don't spike more than 64C.

wombatp3

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Sorry, but de-lid is THE answer for hot Haswell CPUs. Intel have effectively admitted that by going back to soldered lids on their new CPUs. Using the vice and heat gun method IS simple (even for a noob). I had exactly the same issue as you and it took 20 mins to delid (with no prior experience). Temp at idle is now consistent 8 deg C above ambient. Running Prime95 (100 percent load on all cores - much higher demand than any game) it stays low 60s (with a mild overclock). Find someone you trust to do it if you're not confident. This is a very well documented issue and won't be solved by replacing the paste between the lid and heatsink. The problem is with the TIM UNDER the lid. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.