i7-4770k running extremely hot when idle and this happened only a few days ago.

adiboy1996

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
Hi all I have undergone a major problem regarding my cpu.
I have a intel i7-770k and with a H80i water cooler. I had it overclocked to 4.2ghz up until something weird happened. My computer slowed down ( virus I think) and I did a windows image restore ( took like 10 hours). and now my games and everything are running fine ( little lower fps though) Now when I opened CPU id it shows my CPU temp is between 80-100 degrees WHILE IDLE. I ran Prime 95 and it stayed at almost 100 degrees for the entire test. I have restored my bios settings to default and it still is at a really high temperatures ( 70 - 100 degrees) If anyone has any solutions please let me know. Thank you!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It sounds like your liq cooling system is not circulating. Or the contact between CPU and pump is poor. Or the pump is running on low voltage.
Do you have the rad fan connected to the CPU FAN header? Check to see if it is set either AUTO or FULL speed. AUTO may have wrong settings for your situation.
Do you have the pump connected to a SYS FAN header that is always at +12V? Check to see if the BIOS didn't default to AUTO for the SYS FAN header.

I had an H60 that was making poor contact between pump and CPU. I found out that only half of the factory thermal compound was disturbed when I removed it. The pump was only contacting part of the CPU's heat spreader.

TRENDING THREADS