I7 4770K Temperature Issues

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
Well basically i have an I7 4770K CPU Which has not been overclocked its running at the stock speeds and cooling it is the Deepcool Maelstrom 120K AIO Liquid Cooler ive noticed when i first switch my pc on and it loads into windows and my programs are booting up it will jump to around 44 Degrees Celsius then it will drop back down into the low 30s once sat idle and then it will go anywhere in the margin of 22-35 Degrees it changes by the second jumps really high then really low then somewhere in the middle just off opening non demanding programs is this normal?

But my biggest concern is gaming i noticed when i used to play GTA 5 With My I7 Non overclocked with an AMD Radeon R7 370 Graphics card low end graphics card with my settings more around the low side of the spectrum as the card aint that great it the CPU Would Hit a maximum of 45-50 Degrees after hours of game play i have now upgraded to a EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB Edition and my graphics are almost maxed out i am now hitting 55-60 Degrees on my cpu after just half an hour to an hour of gameplay i have also noticed the same behavior in other games the CPU has gone from around the 50 mark to 60 mark with the graphics cranked up is this normal? any one who could help i would appreciate it i know its still well in the safe margin but i like to keep my system as cool as possible also i have push pull on my radiator and lots of case fans some in places they shouldent even be ahaha but they are extremely low RPM 598 RPM

Also i have rebuilt my system today as this was bothering me i have reseated the cooler using a criss cross pattern when tightening and replied paste sorry for rambling on im jusr concerned any help would be gratefull thanks

Solution
No. A more powerful gpu will typically output more heat. Which will make things warmer in your case generally, thus bringing up the temperature of the cpu as well.
As far as processing, if you got a more powerful card, that far more easily keeps up with your current cpu, then yes all your games will automatically offer higher game settings as default because now you're able to take them, and as a consequence you'll be running both your cpu and gpu harder. This isn't a bad thing as now you're playing on higher quality but if you're unhappy about the temperatures, you can always lower your settings back down.
Temperature spikes occasionally are totally normal. Likelihood is you don't really know why they're happening. Maybe there's an...

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

No i understand this is more than a good temp but is it normal for my temp to go up just because of a new GPU

and am i safe to overclock thanks

Sedivy

Estimable
Absolutely. The newer the GPU the more powerful it's likely to be. Not linear relationship cause newer stuff is also more energy efficient but yes a gtx 970 will definitely output a lot more heat. In fact in a gaming system, typically gpu outputs more heat than a cpu, but if you have founders edition cards, they blow hot air out the back of the case, so you don't feel it so much. But you can tell with aftermarket blower type cards that exhaust into the case.
1080 for example is very hot and I wouldn't overclock the cpu with it without a very good cpu cooler and good case cooling in general.

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

so because i have installed a more powerfull gpu my cpu will work harder in games?

also another question you may be able to answer for me is my strange temps problems with my i7 it likes to idle around 28-32 degrees celsius but every now and then ill open up a non demanding program or just leave the computer sat on the desktop and it will spike up to 40 degrees celsius without me even doing anything then drop back down again is this normal? thanks for the help

Sedivy

Estimable
No. A more powerful gpu will typically output more heat. Which will make things warmer in your case generally, thus bringing up the temperature of the cpu as well.
As far as processing, if you got a more powerful card, that far more easily keeps up with your current cpu, then yes all your games will automatically offer higher game settings as default because now you're able to take them, and as a consequence you'll be running both your cpu and gpu harder. This isn't a bad thing as now you're playing on higher quality but if you're unhappy about the temperatures, you can always lower your settings back down.
Temperature spikes occasionally are totally normal. Likelihood is you don't really know why they're happening. Maybe there's an update to something, or system is doing file caching in the background or whatever. Even when no programs are open (or so I think), there will be occasionally spikes but they're brief and generally come right back down. Sometimes if they last a while I can figure out what it is that's going on. Only if it's prolonged and annoying and interferes with something you're trying to do is it worth really tracking down what it is.

Solution

Evrythingaming

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014

So bascially am i okay and yeahn they come right back down and so because im running my card at the max graphics thats why my cpu is getting hotter? and thank you so much for your help

Sedivy

Estimable
If you're running all your game settings at max then yes, absolutely both your cpu and your gpu will work harder and will run hotter. It's why high res gaming needs good cooling. Unless it's inching into the 80s it's not anything you should be worrying about. After all you got the more powerful hardware for precisely this kind of use. Again, if you get worried at any point over either temperatures, or game performance, lower the settings, but otherwise, have fun.

TRENDING THREADS