i7 4770k vs i7-4771 What is the difference? Price/Performance ratio?

Solution
4771 has these over 4770K
* Trusted Execution Technology
* Intel® vPro Technology
* Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
* Intel® TSX-NI

If you are concerned about security the Trusted Execution is very nice.

arges86

Distinguished
If you looking to buy one, i got to say, that the i5-4670K is probably going to be just as good of a cpu for most tasks as the i7. They are very similar, just missing some L3 cache
For gaming, the i5 will perform admirably, and doesn't cost nearly as much as the i7

Archean_0-1354672

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I was looking at the i7s due to HyperThreading--which i think is only on the i7s

Archean_0-1354672

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

"The Core i5-4670K has 33% less cache than the Core i7-4770K and no Hyper-Threading. The Core i7-4770K's Hyper-Threading feature helps by creating four additional virtual cores for a total of eight threads, which increases performance during multitasking procedures. "

because the per/watt is so close? or did I miss something?
===
and unless it went on sale, i wouldn't spend over $200 on a chip....probably wouldn't....(its all hypothetical)

arges86

Distinguished
The wattage is the same, the i7 has more on board memory, so it can more efficiently 'multitask' than the i5. They have the same amount of L1 and L2 cache, but different L3 which allows for the hyper-threading to be effective.

wizzzzard

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
For those that don't know, hyper-threading is no good for gaming.

Battlefield 4 runs noticeably slower with it enabled.

There is $4 difference between the i7-4770k and the i7-4771, I would not even bother with the 4771 unless your needing it for a business and need vPro.

kabalan

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I owned a 4770k upgraded from amd vishera 8 core. Im not a intel fan but buying 4770k never disappoint me,
As the other answered 4771 is not unlocked which means you will be stuck on that core speed forever while you owned the processor.
Keep your option open and go for the 4770k you might think youre not interested to overclock right now but someday you might.

And if you're deciding between i5 and i7 there is a difference, people believed there is not but there is. 100 less today and ending up buying a higher processor later is not a smart choice.. Ending up 2 processor..

As for the hyper threading problem. That is drivers error on EA part not the i7 4770k the game is on trial and error what will you expect.

Brian Wood

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
The 4771 has a few features that help with hyperthreading performance so I guess the 4771 could be a great option for users needing more hyperthreading? With the exception of not being able to overclock to the power of Gods of course (over exaggeration). I think the 4771 is great actually. I mean, I wouldn't complain. At all. If you don't want to be limited on overclocking, then hell pony up ~$20 and get the 4770K.

L Back

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
4771 has these over 4770K
* Trusted Execution Technology
* Intel® vPro Technology
* Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
* Intel® TSX-NI

If you are concerned about security the Trusted Execution is very nice.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan

And a higher price tag. Buying a locked i7 is silly when you can get a Xeon E3 series 1230 v3 or better for less.

Madison1751

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Since people asked how they were different, I'll provide some more detail... As previously mentioned, the main difference is that the "k" chips are designed for enthusiasts & overclockers, and so they are unlocked. The 4771 is designed for a cloud/server environment and has special technology built into the chip for this purpose. Those technologies are:
1. Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (improves hardware performance in virtual environments.)
2. Trusted Execution Technology TXT (addresses a security hole in cloud based systems.)
3. Intel® vPro Technology (great security features)
4. Intel® TSX-NI (increases performance for parallel operations)

The 4770k lacks these technologies. For your average enthusiast home user, these technologies won't be missed unless you run a virtual OS or have security concerns. If your worried about someone hacking your BIOS/Firmware or installing some other nefarious device on your system, TXT should recognize the change, and prevent the system from booting. If your upgrading your firmware and BIOS a lot, TXT might actually cause you some security headaches.
The vPro technology might be the biggest sacrifice you make by going with a "k" chip. Who isn't concerned with security? Intel describes it like this: "1) Threat management, including protection from rootkits, viruses, and malware 2) Identity and web site access point protection 3) Confidential personal and business data protection 4) Remote and local monitoring, remediation, and repair of PCs and workstations."