Question I7 4770S too big temp gap across cpu cores

Oct 3, 2019
Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys that I can't quite figure. I have Intel i7 4770s just bought it used and as always I install openhardwaremonitor to see my temps, to see if i need to upgrade my cooling or not. So what i found was that cpu temps are all around map, Cpu temp at max ussage with stock (small intel's cooler) cooler is around 67~70 wich is weird but nvm the issue is that temps across all four cores don't match. Cpu core 0 is around 67, Cpu core 1 is around 114 degrees, cpu core 2 is around same value as core 1, and cpu core 3 is around 67.
So my question is how is this possible, I heared that badly mounted cpu cooler can make cores (0,2) and (1,3) overheat but never read anything about 1 and 2.

Keep in mind that this processor is not overclockable, and that it is using stock cooler, also it is not thermal throtling or anything like that if anything it is around 3,5 ghz all the time.
What is more interesting is the fact that sometimes it shows normal temps across all cores, but most of the time like 80% is high of the charts on cores 1 and 2.

I am suspecting on faulty cpu temp sensors or even some kind of a buggy situation with ohm.

Ty for all of your replays in advance :)

PS. All temperatures are expressed in Celsius

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu temp at max ussage with stock (small intel's cooler) cooler is around 67~70 wich is weird but nvm the issue is that temps across all four cores don't match. Cpu core 0 is around 67, Cpu core 1 is around 114 degrees, cpu core 2 is around same value as core 1, and cpu core 3 is around 67.
What are you using to generate "max usage"? If it only hits ~70 at max usage, what are you doing when you see it hit 114? I'm assuming these temps are in Fahrenheit?

Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys that I can't quite figure. I have Intel i7 4770s just bought it used and as always I install openhardwaremonitor to see my temps, to see if i need to upgrade my cooling or not. So what i found was that cpu temps are all around map, Cpu temp at max ussage with stock (small intel's cooler) cooler is around 67~70 wich is weird but nvm the issue is that temps across all four cores don't match. Cpu core 0 is around 67, Cpu core 1 is around 114 degrees, cpu core 2 is around same value as core 1, and cpu core 3 is around 67.
So my question is how is this possible, I heared that badly mounted cpu cooler can make cores (0,2) and (1,3) overheat but never read anything about 1 and 2.

Keep in mind that this processor is not overclockable, and that it is using stock cooler, also it is not thermal throtling or anything like that if anything it is around 3,5 ghz all the time.
What is more interesting is the fact that sometimes it shows normal temps across all cores, but most of the time like 80% is high of the charts on cores 1 and 2.

I am suspecting on faulty cpu temp sensors or even some kind of a buggy situation with ohm.

Ty for all of your replays in advance :)

PS. All temperatures are expressed in Celsius
If you are using the stock Intel cooler with that 4770s, you should get an aftermarket cooler to replace it because the stock cooler is not enough to stop it overheating or just running over 80c under high load. If you reused whatever thermal paste might have still been on the heat-sink, that is likely your problem and need to clean off the CPU and heat-sink and apply new thermal paste. I have this CPU in my server and had a similar problem with too much heat with the stock Intel cooler that I fixed with a spare Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

Oct 3, 2019
If you are using the stock Intel cooler with that 4770s, you should get an aftermarket cooler to replace it because the stock cooler is not enough to stop it overheating or just running over 80c under high load. If you reused whatever thermal paste might have still been on the heat-sink, that is likely your problem and need to clean off the CPU and heat-sink and apply new thermal paste. I have this CPU in my server and had a similar problem with too much heat with the stock Intel cooler that I fixed with a spare Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

I am using blueberry case, forgot actual model number, i installed 7 fans in there including 140 mm one on left panel so overheating is actually not problem, I am pretty sure that 4770 would overheet easy on stock cooler but "s" varient won't, atleast not in my case. Don't know maybe in summer days it will get a little tosty. And actually I don't know what thermal paste is under there, but I am pretty sure it is brand new.

I am using blueberry case, forgot actual model number, i installed 7 fans in there including 140 mm one on left panel so overheating is actually not problem, I am pretty sure that 4770 would overheet easy on stock cooler but "s" varient won't, atleast not in my case. Don't know maybe in summer days it will get a little tosty. And actually I don't know what thermal paste is under there, but I am pretty sure it is brand new.
7 case fans won't help if the heat-sink has terrible paste. I would replace it with some new high quality paste if I didn't know what it was already.

Reactions: Duxor