i7 4770s vrs i5 4460

Solution
The 4770s would be a good upgrade over the 4460 but it would only worth doing if you had at least a GTX 1060 or so. Your CPU currently can keep the GTX 770 fed with frames just fine. If you want more performance and especially gaming performance upgrading that graphics card will be much more worthwhile.
Neither. Get the i5-6600k, 6700k, 7600k, 7700k (depending on budget) if your motherboard supports it. Kabylake processors are the smart choice here.
Also, note that getting a 6th generation i5 is much better than a 4th generation i7 like you're suggesting.

There's always exceptions to the rule. Still, the core i5 I've suggested are still a better option that what he/she was looking at and is at a similar price point.
A new generation CPU also means that it'll generally take much longer before he/she needs to think about upgrading again.

Although Robert Ban has a point in not necessarily needing to purchase a CPU over 200$. It all depends on your needs, if you're looking at playing video games then it's definitely worth it. For workstations, going for a CPU at a cheaper price-point is probably the "smarter" investment.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Asking about the 4770 as an upgrade over the 4460. If he has a 4460 at the moment, then its going to be some kind of 4th gen board with ddr3, specifically what board doesnt matter.

Fair point. I forgot to take that into account.

@timasparagus1993 Can you give us more specs about your build? Are u just looking at upgrading the CPU or are u looking for a general upgrade? Because as @RobCrezz said, it could be worth thinking about switching to Ryzen altogether. I'm personally a big fan. And if you were ready to spend 300$ to just upgrade your CPU; you can already get a pretty good CPU + Mobo combo for that price. All you would need to change on top of that would be the RAM for an extra 100$ and you'd have a brand new setup.

If that's not an option, then going for the CPU you were looking at is indeed a good choice.

The 4770s would be a good upgrade over the 4460 but it would only worth doing if you had at least a GTX 1060 or so. Your CPU currently can keep the GTX 770 fed with frames just fine. If you want more performance and especially gaming performance upgrading that graphics card will be much more worthwhile.

Solution