[SOLVED] I7 4790 + 300w psu

May 29, 2020
Hi everybody, thanks in advance for adopting me... I guess!
Anyway, a friend gave me a gigabyte b85dh3 with cpu i7 4790 attached. No ram, so I took one from another old PC (2x4gb 1600), a 500gb HDD and 300w crappy psu, I have only 4pin connected to the 8pin atx12v socket near the CPU.

I turn on the PC and after the "ready to go beep" it turned off. Question, what's missing?.

Also I tried clear cmos because my friend told me the mobo had an i3 CPU attached before. I have hdmi connected to a TV and the image don't show.

Approximate Purchase Date: it doesn't matter neither I know.

Budget range: 100.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: hearthstone, name, movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: psu, GPU (I want to play Resident evil remakes).

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would buy used parts, it doesn't bother me. Ebay, Amazon, I don't know any other

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: definently No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor: lg 32' smart (1080p)

Additional Comments: I want to play hearthstone and in the near future the RE remakes.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: because it doesn't start.

Thank you all.
Take care.
Martin

Solution
Solved, change the psu and tried vga instead of hdmi (I was using it). So either the psu was not enough or the hdmi is bad, idk.

Thank you all.
Keep safe
It's hard to get a PSU and a GPU together for $100. Plus, the world is in shortage of PSU since the supply from China/Taiwan were halted from Feb to April. It might take a month or two before it is normal again. Since hearthstone isn't that demanding, I'd give the integrated one a try first. How long before it turns off? A couple of second? A bit longer? Can you confirm to your friend that the motherboard and RAM work? If yes, I'd say the PSU is lemon.

This is the best PSU I can find for $100:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._electronics_focus_series_ssr_550fm_550w.html

This one is kinda meh, but a lot cheaper:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii-bronze-series-ssr-500gb3-500w/p/N82E16817151226

Reactions: mctrader07
May 29, 2020
Thank you @refillable . When I say $100, it would be just for the psu, i´ll be buying the gpu once the pc starts working.
Before it turns off and after the "beep" there're a couple of seconds. My friend "rescued" this pieces from his work deposit, he said that with i3 attached, 300w psu and 4 gigs of ram it starts.
i will try another psu, and remove one of the ram sticks. Also, i was looking the psu and it says it can deliver 280 watts, of course it is a generic psu.

if you have another idea, please let me know. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Cheers and keep safe.

Yeah, you would never go wrong buying a Seasonic Focus GM TBH, even if it's not the PSU, it's going to be a great PSU to support a GPU anyway. You will end up tossing that trash PSU either way. Before you test with a new PSU, have you checked that all cables are seated properly and everything is on the right place?

Reactions: mctrader07
May 29, 2020
I'm a complete amateur, but i think i feed the entire board correctly, 24 pins, sata and power to the hdd and the 4pin connector on the 8 pin slot (where it fit). the ram sticks on the 3th and 4th slots (nearest ones to the cpu with free slot between them).
I check gigabyte support page and the cpu is supported with stock bios, so, that not seems to be the problem.

??? T_T just wanted to play hearthstone ... hahahaha

Well, IIRC a 4790 does not need a BIOS update. Just make sure cables are correctly seated, if cables come loose they can stop the system from starting. New builders most of the time has problems on the tiny front panel case cables. They also sometimes mess up on the fans, because many even forgot to plug them. Make sure those are correctly plugged in and seated as well. Does the BIOS/motherboard screen pop up? Also, according to the manual, the RAM should be installed on the 2nd and 4th slot (the 1st one being the nearest to the CPU).

Last edited:
May 29, 2020
I'll make sure everything is well placed and attached. I have the mobo on a wood surface, i dont have a case (yet), so there are no fans other than the cpu one. i wll follow your advice for the ram placement and see what happen. If the bios needs to be updated, i'm in a problem, because i don't have another cpu.

Thanks again @refillable , i will be back with some news and a pic of the board.

Keep safe all of you.

May 29, 2020
Ok, some progress has been made. It did start saying "bios has been reset" and a couple of seconds later, maybe 15 secs, it turn off.
What is happening?... advices and theories are welcome.
Thanks @refillable, your wisdom helped me solve the first obstacle.
aEMls3.jpg

May 29, 2020
There´s a 1sec "beep", but i identify it like the one that tells you it's all ok. I could be wrong, my friend could be wrong, so let put this on the table. what's the first step to identify the problem?. Ask me anything.

thanks again @refillable . I should put this on motherboard, i would get more responses like yours.

May 29, 2020
I can get into the bios, the first thing when i turn on the computer after the "gigabyte ultra durable" screen is this... and then, 10 to 12 seconds later the pc turn off.

EzzM0.jpg

May 29, 2020
Update! I change the CMOS battery, but the problem persists. So I contact Gigabyte, but their answer was "update the bios", I can't do that in 15 seconds before it turns off. Tomorrow I will take it to the office and try another psu. If you have any other advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.