[SOLVED] I7 4790 59 celsius at bios

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
I got a used i7 4790 running on stock cooler and a gigabyte b85m motherboard. It was running at 64 celsius before so I reapplied thermal paste. After it booted, it went to 47 to and gradually increased and now stable at 59. Ambient temp is at 26-29 give or take. I noticed that after pressing the power button, the chasis fan is already spinning while the cpu fan takes roughly 3secs to spin. It seems its trying to spin but it wont after turning it on then 3secs later it will eventually spin then I will hear the board speaker with the beep sound. Does it mean that the stock cooler is faulty? Or issue with the cpu?

Solution
Definitely a little on the warm side but, given ambient, not too surprising.

Personally, I'd replace the CPU cooler - but assuming those are temps that have stablized, they're not too horrible for an Intel stock cooler.

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
So I booted a linux usb and read the sensors to check and heres the result

Package id 0: 41c
Core 0: 36c
Core 1: 38c
Core 2: 34c
Core 3: 37c

Does this mean that its running at optimal temp at idle load and the temp on bios is not accurate? Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds fine - the BIOS will have a small load on it, as it doesn't 'boot' with power saving features etc.

Ultimately, what matters is load temps, not idle. Have you performed a stress test? How do temps look?

Typically the CPU_Fan should spin up right away, but a second or two delay doesn't sound like anything to worry about - the CPU is essentially passively cooled while it awaits the fan.

Your true 'idle' temps are typically anywhere from 5-15'C higher than ambient, depending on the cooler/airflow. With a 26-29'C ambient, anything idling anywhere in the 30's sounds totally fine to me but, again, load temps are what really matter.

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
I havent installed the os or program yet so cannot try it under load. Best load that I can do with it is to open 4 firefox tabs and play youtube videos simultaneously each tab. Currently reading

Core 0: 47
Core 1: 44
Core 2: 41
Core 3: 43

There were some instances that the cpu fan is still not spinning after the beep sound. I was wondering if I should be worried and replace the stock fan or its really a normal behavior since its the first time I bought a used and with a stock fan.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Doesn't sound particularly 'normal', but if it's spinning up soon enough, I'd test it out and see how you fare.

Those temps don't seem unrealistic for the circumstances described.... a little warm, but so is your ambient.
I'd proceed with an OS install etc, then put it under a stress test - see how things look then.