Aug 28, 2020
I have a i7 4790 with a WaterCooler, 16gb RAM, 1080p 75hz Monitor, and I had a 5 year old GTX 950 that after a long time of struggling died. (500W PS but I know I need a better one)

I was gonna wait till the end of the year to see the prices of the 3000 series and was probably gonna fetch the simpler one, but as I cant stay that long without a gpu I'm looking at the RTX 2080 or the RTX 2070 Super, but as I looked up stuff I have a really itching question, will there be any problem if I try to run with any of those gpus?
I read in some places that it would have X amount of bottlenecking, but at the same time I read here that this term is really misleading, can someone explain me exactly why?

And just to clarify I really didnt want to change the processor to an i9 or i7 9x cuz I cant pay right now half the price of the Graphics Card on it, and if there are cheaper and better Processors I'm free for reccomendations.

Thank you in advance for the answers and clearing out all of my doubts :)

Solution
We'll know more on September 1 when the RTX30xx series launches, but they're slated to have SIGNIFICANTLY improved ray tracing performance compared to RTX20xx (some rumors are saying 2x) Right now, enabling ray tracing REALLY tanks your FPS, so I suppose that's a tactic for bringing a high end card to its knees at a lower resolution.

Unless you're upgrading to 1440p monitor, a 2 year turn-around is a pretty short period of time. If you're buying an RTX2080 for 1080p/75Hz, you'd better be intending to keep that sucker for like...5 years or more. Everyone's budget is different though.

Again, if this is part of a step-wise upgrade path that's intended to unfold over the next year or so, go ahead. If not, you might be better served by...
Yeah....I have to at least partially agree with Djoza.

First off, the RTX30xx series are launching on September 1, so you should wait over the weekend.

While there's nothing wrong with buying more than you need NOW, an RTX2080 or 2070 Super is....8x more performance(?) than your GTX950 (which was admittedly anemic by today's standards). Unless you plan on going to a 1080p 240Hz or 1440p 144Hz monitor, you're wasting your money on a card that high on the chain.

Knowing you have a 500W PSU (not 550W) tells me your PSU is based on an old design. Unless you can provide the brand/model of your PSU, I have no reservation saying you shouldn't trust that thing to run a $500-700 GPU.

Reactions: TheDeadQuacker
Aug 28, 2020
I get your point of not needing that much of an upgrade right now compared to the rest of my rig, but I do indeed plan on going up higher although I do have limitations and as I write this from Brazil, our economy is even more anemic than a 950 trying to run todays games lol

I'm open to recommendations, but the reason why I wanted to go so high on a GPU was to relieve that pressure and go to the highest end possible so I can run stuff for a long time, and as the years go by use the money to go updating the rest of the rig slowly.

I'm not really interested in buying a 1660Super if that means that in 2-3 years its already becoming outdated you know? Sadly here in Brazil it costs 2,6 minimum salaries without taxes, so I wouldnt want to pay that today and then in 2 years the price of the RTX.

Well enough of that, about the PSU it is a CX500 80PBronze from Corsair that is as old as the 950, so I dont think it'll do.

We'll know more on September 1 when the RTX30xx series launches, but they're slated to have SIGNIFICANTLY improved ray tracing performance compared to RTX20xx (some rumors are saying 2x) Right now, enabling ray tracing REALLY tanks your FPS, so I suppose that's a tactic for bringing a high end card to its knees at a lower resolution.

Unless you're upgrading to 1440p monitor, a 2 year turn-around is a pretty short period of time. If you're buying an RTX2080 for 1080p/75Hz, you'd better be intending to keep that sucker for like...5 years or more. Everyone's budget is different though.

Again, if this is part of a step-wise upgrade path that's intended to unfold over the next year or so, go ahead. If not, you might be better served by a RTX2060 Super or something. That's still going to be plenty of performance for 1080p/75Hz and you can enable ray tracing as more games come out with it.**

** i always tell people, if you need ULTRA/OMG graphics for a game to be enjoyable, it's probably not a good game.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS